The Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration began at Princeton more than two decades ago with undergraduate students organizing an annual observation. Vice President and Secretary Robert K. Durkee became the founding committee convener when the University offered to support the program and make it open to the entire campus and neighboring communities. Since then, the program has been an annual favorite, with its contest for school children, powerful entertainment and with notable speakers including: Charles G. Adams, Daphne Brooks, Janet Dickerson, Marion Wright Edelman, Eddie Glaude, Marvalene Hughes, José Huizar, Van Jones, Randall Kennedy, Wynton Marsalis, Bob Moses, Hugh Price, Mrs. Jackie Robinson, DeForest B. Soaries, Jr., Valerie Smith, and Cornel West.
Princeton University recognizes Martin Luther King Jr. and his legacy as a model for those who cherish civil and human rights. We are proud to keep this legacy alive as we stand in the nation’s service and in the service of all nations.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration 2016
- Christopher L. Eisgruber, President
- Michele Minter, Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity
- Lianne Sullivan-Crowley, Vice President for Human Resources
Celebration Staff and Volunteers 2016
- Steve Blechman, Office of Human Resources
- Cheri Burgess, Office of the Provost
- Valerie C.M. Ching, Office of the Provost
- Elizabeth Erickson, Office of Disability Services
- Donna Maywar, Office of the Provost
- Jennifer Neill, Office of the Vice President for Campus Life
- Bhuvan Shori, Office of the Provost
- Siobhan Strickhart, Office of Disability Services
Special thanks to all of our program partners for significant contributions:
Broadcast Center, Office of the President, Office of Printing and Mailing, Office of Community and Regional Affairs, Office of Public Affairs, Office of Communications, Pace Center, Richardson Auditorium and University Services, and ASL Interpreters Don Rubel and Steven Toth.
For more information about Princeton’s MLK Day, please contact:
Equity and Diversity Specialist
Office of the Provost
MLK Day Celebration
204B Nassau Hall
Princeton, New Jersey 08544-0015