AOS Research Staff Profile
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Address: 401A Sayre Hall
Phone: (609) 258-1311
Email: cdufour at princeton.edu
My research focuses on the Southern Ocean circulation and carbon cycle, with a particular interest on how physical and biogeochemical processes drive their responses to climate changes. To this purpose, I use physical-biogeochemical ocean models either forced or coupled with the atmosphere at eddying resolutions. I investigated the response of natural air-sea CO2 fluxes to the current positive trend in the Southern Annular Mode, with a particular focus on the role of mesoscale eddies and other physical and biogeochemical processes. I am now studying mechanisms controlling the cross-frontal transport of carbon and nutrients and their subduction into the deep Southern Ocean. The aim is to describe hotspots of tracer exchange across the Southern Ocean fronts and pathways of carbon and nutrient subduction from the Southern Ocean to low latitudes, and to identify and quantify the processes driving these transfers, with a particular focus on mesoscale eddies.
My goal is to contribute to a better understanding and quantification of oceanic processes that control changes in the global carbon cycle.
Some Recent Publications:
- Zika, J.D., J. Le Sommer, C.O. Dufour, A. Naveira-Garabato and A. Blaker (2013): Acceleration of
the Antarctic Circumpolar Current by Wind Stress Along the Coast of Antarctica. Journal of Physical
Oceanography, in press.
- Dufour, C.O., J. Le Sommer, M. Gehlen, J.C. Orr, J.-M. Molines, J. Simeon and B. Barnier (2013):
Eddy compensation and controls of the enhanced sea-to-air CO2 flux during positive phases of the Southern Annular Mode. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 27, 950-961. [doi]
- Zika, J.D., J. Le Sommer, C.O. Dufour, et al. (2013): Vertical Eddy Fluxes in the Southern Ocean.
Journal of Physical Oceanography, 43, 941-955. [doi]
- Spence, P; O.A. Saenko, C.O. Dufour, J. Le Sommer and M. England (2012): Mechanisms maintaining Southern Ocean heat transport under projected wind forcing. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 42,1923-1931. [doi]
- Dufour, C.O.; J. Le Sommer, J.D. Zika, M. Gehlen, J.C. Orr, P. Mathiot and B. Barnier (2012): Standing and Transient Eddies in the Response of the Southern Ocean Meridional Overturning to the Southern Annular Mode. Journal of Climate, 25, 6958-6974. [doi]
- Dufour, C.O.; J. Le Sommer, T. Penduff, B. Barnier and M.H. England (2011): Structure and Causes of the Pulsation Mode in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current South of Australia. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 41(2), 253-268. [doi]
- Dufour, C.O., Rôle des tourbillons océaniques dans la variabilité récente des flux air-mer de CO2 dans l'océan Austral (Impact of oceanic eddy activity on the variability of CO2 air-sea fluxes in the Southern Ocean), University of Grenoble, France, 2011. [link]