Checklist Preparation for Ph.D. Defense
-- (AOS Program and Graduate School) --
a) The first step is to pick a date and get it approved by all persons who are to attend the defense. Include the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS).
b) Check date with Anna V. for any conflicts with the department calendar.
c) Give yourself at least 1½ months or sooner to complete the process from start to finish. Especially keep that in mind, if you are pressed to receive your degree by a specific date.
Degree Deadline for 2015-2016: Degree to be Awarded on:
Friday, September 11, 2015 Saturday, September 26, 2015
Friday, November 6, 2015 Saturday, November 21, 2015
Friday, January 8, 2016 Saturday, January 23, 2016
Friday, March 18, 2016 Saturday, April 2, 2016
Tuesday, May 17, 2016 Tuesday, May 31, 2016
d) The following process must be done to meet the specific degree deadline date you choose:
- You must have successfully defended your dissertation;
- All paper work must be completed and signed;
- After completing Mudd Library’s process (see #3 below), the signed paper work must be submitted to the Graduate School by the designated deadline date you choose, in order for your Ph.D. to be approved and awarded on the Degree date you selected.
Dissertation requirements are on the Mudd Library home page:
TO BEGIN THE PROCESS:1. Two bound and/or final copy of your DISSERTATION is due in your department at least two full weeks before your defense date. The department copy does not have to be professionally bound (Submit copies to Anna V.)
2. A completed ADVANCED DEGREE APPLICATION must be submitted electronically to Graduate School, 14 days prior to the proposed Ph.D. defense date. (NOTE: when counting the 14 days, do not include Sundays or Holidays.) This online ADVANCED DEGREE APPLICATION can be accessed via SCORE and should contain:
- TITLE PAGE OF THE DISSERTATION (The correct degree award date, as on the Degree Application Form, Trustees’ Meeting date, month and year only, must appear at the bottom of the title page.) Anna V. uploads
- DISSERTATION ABSTRACT(Should not exceed 350 words ) Anna V. uploads
- Optional - Ph.D. DISSERTATION EMBARGO REQUEST AND APPROVAL FORM (Required only if the student is requesting an embargo on the dissertation. Request must be submitted electronically as part of the FPO application. (Candidate completes the form and after approval, submits original to Anna V. to upload.)
- READER REPORTS (Given to the Committee of Examiners – At least two Reader Reports, at least one of which must be a faculty member in candidate’s home department. Additional readers may be assigned by department. (Outside reader: someone outside the candidate’s department or outside Princeton University. Include a CV for outside Princeton University readers – Anna V. uploads CV.)
NOTE: Readers should submit their reports in PDF form to email@example.com
within the 14 day deadline. (Anna V. uploads the reader’s reports.)
- PRIOR PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATION FORM (Signed by Candidate’s Advisor) Candidate completes form, gets signed by advisor, then gives to Anna V. to upload
- Ph.D. DISSERTATION REPORT AND REQUEST TO HOLD FINAL PUBLIC ORAL EXAMINATION (Anna V. completes and uploads document.)
NOTE: There must be at least three principal examiners, all of them normally members of the Princeton Faculty at the rank of assistant professor or higher, at least two of whom have not been principal readers of the dissertation.
3. Authorization memo approving Final Public Oral (FPO) Examination (Will be sent electronically to department after Graduate School deans have approved FPO. Must be posted in department at least three full working days, including Saturdays, prior to the defense.) (Anna V. posts notice.)
4. Submission of dissertation to Mudd Manuscript Library, to be completed normally by the end of the day of the student’s successful completion of the Final Public Oral Exam (If the advisor and examining committee recommend that minor, non- substantive changes be made in the text, the student must submit the corrected final copies within two weeks of successfully completing the FPO):
Full details of the Mudd Manuscript Library’s requirements are available at http://www.princeton.edu/~mudd/thesis/index.shtml.
- Complete online submission of dissertation to ProQuest at www.etdadmin.com/princeton. Candidates will upload a PDF of dissertation, chose a publishing option, register copyright (optional) and pay relevant fees*.
- Bring to Mudd Manuscript Library
- Print-out of email confirming successful submission to ProQuest 1 bound copy of dissertation
- 1 dissertation maintenance fee of $15, payable by check made out to “Princeton University Library” or exact cash
- 1 original and 1 copy of FPO form signed by Chair of FPO or Committee or DGS. (Anna V. will give to candidate after defense.)
- If you have requested an embargo, you must provide written documentation of approval from the Graduate School (email confirmation from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs).
- *ProQuest fees (paid online): Traditional publishing is free; Open Access publishing is $95. Copyright registration (optional) is $55 . Note: the dissertation maintenance fee of $15 must be paid separately to the Mudd Library in cash or check.
5. Due to the Office of Academic Affairs, 111 Clio Hall, immediately following Mudd Library submission (see #3 above):
- FINAL PUBLIC ORAL EXAMINATION REPORT (In hard copy, signed by Chair of FPO Committee or DGS and Mudd librarian)
- SURVEY OF EARNED DOCTORATES Hard copy of the “Certificate of Completion” page of the SED (To complete the SED, go to https://sed.norc.org/survey .)
- EXIT QUESTIONNAIRE Hard copy of “Confirmation of Completion” page must be submitted. (To be completed online by candidate)
The Trustees will not award the Ph.D. degree until these documents are received. Any delay in submitting these documents may jeopardize the award of your degree
- The End of Enrollment Form must be completed if you are currently enrolled. The form should be submitted to the department within one week of the termination date indicated on the form. Access link for form, print and complete: http://www.princeton.edu/gradschool/about/docs/academics/EndofEnrollment.pdf
- Student Checkout Form must be completed by the student before leaving the University.