Construction of the Arts and Transit Project is scheduled to take place over four years, beginning in early 2013. The expected completion date for the full project is fall 2017, but the construction will proceed in phases. Extensive public infrastructure improvements will be constructed in the first phase of the project. Construction of new buildings for the Lewis Center for the Arts and the Department of Music, and conversion of the existing station buildings for a restaurant and a café, will take place in the second phase of the project.
Project components include:
- Improvements to public roadways including construction of a new roundabout at the intersection of University Place and Alexander Street and construction of an access road from Alexander Street to the University’s West Garage (Lot 7) for University as well as public use;
- New Princeton train station complex with an indoor waiting room, outdoor waiting area, platform, 24-hour restrooms and Wawa;
- Transit plaza for multimodal connections (train, bus, shuttle, taxi, car, bike, pedestrian), including spaces for drop-off and pick-up and Wawa parking;
- New commuter parking lot;
- Steven Holl-designed buildings for the Lewis Center for the Arts and the Department of Music;
- Steven Holl-designed public plaza;
- A new restaurant and café in the former train station buildings; and
- Extensive landscaping and site lighting improvements and significant sustainability features, including geothermal heating and cooling and green roofs.
The project will commence in early 2013 with the demolition of University-owned structures along Alexander Street south of the intersection of University Place and Alexander Street. All private businesses in the area south of the project area will remain open; they will be accessible by vehicle and through temporary crosswalks when portions of the sidewalk are closed.
The next step will be the construction of a new commuter parking lot and a temporary train platform. A new roundabout at the intersection of University Place and Alexander Street will be constructed to replace the existing traffic light. During the construction of the new roundabout, traffic will be diverted to a temporary road that will allow two-way traffic to continue between Alexander Street and University Place. During this period vehicular traffic will be restricted on Alexander Street from College Avenue to University Place.
Upon completion of the roadway and parking lot, the new train station and Wawa will be constructed along with a mutimodal transit plaza along Alexander Street and the access road to the West Garage (Lot 7). The Wawa will remain open in its current location until the new Wawa is opened in the new station complex.
The Steven Holl-designed buildings for the Lewis Center for the Arts and the Department of Music will be developed in the final phase of the project, after the public roadway, parking lot, station and transit plaza have been completed.
The University and its construction partners will make every effort to minimize disruptions to the public as a result of this project. To help reduce the impact of the construction and to assist with planning for trips to or through the area, maps will be posted and regularly updated to show the configuration of the site. You may sign up for email updates to be notified when new construction or transit information is available.