Skip over navigation

Travel Guidelines for the Department of Astrophysical Sciences

Peyton Hall

For Travel Forms please refer to the side bar on the right hand side.

Concur Travel System

You are now required to book all your travel and submit all expenses through Concur.

  • If you are traveling through a P.I account please contact the P.I for the Fund codes before creating an Expense report, you will be required to enter those before submitting for approval.
  • Graduate students should fill out the new Student approval form.

Travel Planning

Traveling on University funds can be complicated especially as of July 1, 2014

All the current grant numbers and codes have changed and there is a new system.

Please contact Keren Fedida before you make your arrangements on Concur.

Please also remember that if you are planning foreign travel,
compliance can be tricky, you may need prior approvals.  Before
you purchase anything for a foreign trip check with Keren or Susan.

Travel Costs

1)  Before you make any arrangements, confirm what
account will be covering the expenses.  Get a written
confirmation/approval from the manager of the account
if you are not the PI.  Graduate students must complete
a separate form.  (This forms mostly clarifies for
accounts payable when the travel is research related
and not taxable).

2)  If foreign travel, make sure that you have the
appropriate approvals.  All accounts with 120-6XXX
require prior approval.

3)  Registration and lodging costs, we ask that for
the most part the traveler pay for these and then
ask for reimbursement.  We have run into a lot of
trouble with these because on-line registration is
personal to the participant and is often incompatible
with credit card info.  If there is substantial
hardship, we will TRY to pay the registration in advance.
Lodging is almost always impossible, because check-out
normally requires the credit card in person.
Because of several breaches in credit card security,
use of the credit card is limited to a few staff
and faculty.

For the most part, direct your travel questions to Keren.
If it is foreign travel, Susan may contact you and ask for
a prior approval statement.


Learned Society

Learned Society Travel benefits will provide reimbursement of transportation and hotel expenses for regular (i.e. non-visiting) full-time faculty members, as well as emeritus/a faculty, for conferences or learned society meetings (held within or outside the United States) who are delivering a paper at a meeting, chairing a session, participating as an invited discussant in a session, or otherwise involved as an officer. (Learned Society Rules)


Standard Mileage Rate


The current standard mileage rate is $0.575/mile.


Personal Automobile

    1. Acceptable Usage
      Use of personal auto for business purposes is allowed when it is less expensive than alternative means of transportation or when there are convenience or safety issues that justify the additional cost. Use of personal automobile for normal commute is not an allowable expense.
    2. Mileage Reimbursement
      If a personal automobile is used for business purposes, you will be reimbursed at the current IRS authorized mileage rate for miles incurred in excess of your normal commute. The personal mileage reimbursement covers all costs related to the operation of the vehicle, including service, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and gas. The current rate can be found on the Finance and Treasury website.
    3. Intercampus Travel
      The University provides a comprehensive free shuttle service for intercampus travel, including Forrestal and PPPL. Reimbursement for use of a personal automobile for intercampus travel is not an allowable expense unless there is a documented medical need.
    4. Gasoline
      The price of the gas is factored into the mileage reimbursement rate and is therefore not an allowable expense when traveling by personal automobile.
    5. Tolls
      All tolls incurred while traveling for business are allowable expenses. This does not include tolls incurred for normal commute.
    6. Parking
      All parking for business purposes are allowable expenses. Commute-related parking charges are not allowable expenses.
    7. Maintenance/Repairs/Fines
      Regular car maintenance, fines, penalties, towing, and repairs are not allowable expenses.


In order to avoid cash advances being reported as income, please file your travel reimbursement within 10 days of returning from your trip.

Please keep all original receipts for out of pocket expense reimbursements. We cannot reimburse for taxes paid. Please take a tax-exempt form with you when you purchase items for University use. See your faculty assistant and fill out and sign the appropriate voucher for reimbursement.

Please note that changes are coming soon and you will be booking and getting reimbursed through concur.


Cash Advances

See your faculty assistant for cash advances. Conference registration, airline tickets, and hotel reservations may be made in advance of your travel and paid for by University.


Car Rentals


Renting Cars in the Contiguous United States

The University has negotiated competitive rental rates and primary insurance for liability and physical damage with three rental companies: Enterprise, Avis, and Hertz. These rates and insurance only apply to business rentals within the 48 contiguous United States. At the time of rental, use the corporate numbers below to get the University rate and primary insurance:

  • Enterprise: XZ17E12
  • Avis: A496000
  • Hertz: 057394

When renting a car from a rental agency other than the three listed above, purchase only the minimum coverage of insurance required by the rental agency.

Renting a Car in Alaska, Hawaii, or Outside the United States
Since the University negotiated rates and primary insurance do not apply outside the contiguous United States, purchase the minimum level of insurance required by the rental agency when traveling in Alaska, Hawaii or outside the United States.

Combining Business & Personal Use
When renting a car for a combination of business and personal use your personal automobile coverage, or any additional insurance you purchase, will cover your personal use of the rental car.

Damage & Accidents

  • All accidents, regardless of the severity or damage, must be reported immediately torisk management, your department manager, and to the rental agency.
  • If applicable, departments are responsible for the first $1,000 of damage to a rental vehicle.

Student Car Rentals
Students renting vehicles locally using University funds must comply with the following requirements and are only permitted to rent vehicles through Enterprise.

Enterprise has agreed to rent vehicles and to include primary insurance coverage to University approved student drivers between the ages of 18 and 25 who are renting a vehicle for official University business. Only approved student drivers are authorized to rent vehicles with University funds.

Reservations for approved student drivers must be made in advance using the University's corporate number. Students should decline additional insurance coverage when traveling on official University business.

Enterprise has agreed to rent mini-vans to approved student drivers who are at least 18 years of age and on official University business. Student drivers must have successfully completed the online test and must be van certified through the University’s department of public safety. Students must also present authorization from a University administrator at the time of the rental.


Personal Auto Use

When you use your own vehicle for University business, your personal insurance is always primary and will provide coverage for damages incurred if there is an accident involving your vehicle. When using your personal auto for University business, you are required to comply with all state regulations — including maintaining the minimal amount of insurance coverage.

The University provides reimbursement for personal auto use at the current IRS mileage rate. A portion of the mileage allowance is considered to cover the costs for gas, oil, repairs, depreciation, and insurance, so you cannot also request reimbursement for gas when you use your own car for University business.

Damage & Accidents
If your vehicle is damaged while being used for University business, the University will reimburse you for your deductible up to a maximum of $1,000 for physical damage to your vehicle only. The University’s automobile liability policy may cover third party liability damages in excess of the coverage available under your personal auto policy.

If your car is damaged by a University vehicle and the driver of the University vehicle is determined to be at fault, the University will pay for all necessary repairs.


When you have any type of event or a visitor that needs logistics and expenses paid for please fill out this form and email the PDF to Keren:

Conference & Event Planning Form

If you are a visitor and are approved to be reimbursed please fill out the following form and attache the receipts into one PDF and email Keren Fedida:

Guest Reimbursement Form

For Moving Reimbursement Fill out the following two forms and combine them with the receipts into one PDF before emailing Keren Fedida:

Business Expense

Moving Expense

Travel Related Insurance

All UGS & Grad Students must fill out the following form before booking any travel, please email the filled out form as a PDF to Keren Fedida:

Student Travel Approval

Currency Converter

Milage/Distance Between Cities 


Amtrak Homepage

NJ Transit Train Schedule

Travel Policies

Airport Shuttle

World Time Server