A College in the Heart of
The 1764 view of Nassau Street shows how Nassau Hall was intentionally set back from the street, creating an open field closed by a fence. This field would later be called "Front Campus," for which "campus" was taken from Latin and used with this meaning for the first time. The building housed all components of the College, except for the adjacent president's house.
Images: Graphic Arts Collection and University Archives, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library. Courtesy of The Historical Society of Princeton.
Photos: Courtesy of the Princeton University Office of Communications.
© 2006 The Trustees of Princeton University Last update: December 20, 2006