The Campus Looks Inward
Working simultaneously with Cram, Beatrix Farrand was appointed the University's first consulting landscape architect from 1912-1943. Farrand developed a new language of collegiate landscape that emphasized a rich and creative approach to planting the edges of the architecture in a way that preserved the openness of the campus. Farrand also pioneered the development methods for the University to exercise greater efficiency and control over its own landscape, including the establishment of a large nursery and expansive sod fields.
Images: Graphic Arts Collection and University Archives, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library. Courtesy of The Historical Society of Princeton.
Photos: Courtesy of the Princeton University Office of Communications.
© 2006 The Trustees of Princeton University Last update: December 20, 2006