- The contiguous Main Campus is approximately 380 acres in size, 65% of which consists of landscaped and natural areas, while the other 35% consists of buildings, paved areas, and parking lots.
- The Main Campus includes more than 50 acres of tended green space, 26 acres of athletic fields, and almost 70 acres of wooded and tree-covered areas.
- The campus provides landscaped open spaces and views of greenery that are open to the public for enjoyment and recreation, especially in its historic core. Visitors also enjoy Lake Carnegie for recreation and sporting events.
- The campus has almost 350 varieties of tree species. The first trees planted on the campus in 1766 were called Stamp Act Sycamores, commemorating the repealing of the Stamp Act by the British.
- The landscapes of the campus were largely defined by the vision of Beatrix Farrand, the only woman among the founders of the American Society of Landscape Architects and one of the most important American campus landscape architects of the 20th century.
- In addition to the contiguous Main Campus, Princeton University owns an additional 410 acres in Princeton Township and Princeton Borough (including the Springdale Golf Course and other areas).
- The University owns approximately 475 acres south of Lake Carnegie in the township of West Windsor, which consists mainly of farmland, wooded areas, and athletic fields.