The University is planning for a new facility to house visiting faculty members on the northwest corner of Olden and William streets in Princeton Borough.
Olden House has been designed and is being developed by local architect and developer J. Robert Hillier, a Princeton alumnus.
The property is located in a small residential neighborhood between the University's Engineering Quadrangle and Friend Center for Engineering Education and businesses on Nassau Street. The two unoccupied apartment structures on the property were demolished. A third house and garage on the property were taken down more than 15 years ago.
The three-story building will encompass approximately 13,000 square feet and will be constructed of sustainable materials. It will contain 18 units that are a mix of studios and one-bedroom dwellings, in the range of 600 to 750 square feet each.
Hillier, who earned an A.B. in 1959 and MFA in 1961 from Princeton, both in architecture, founded Hillier Architecture in 1966 and led it to become the third largest architectural firm in the United States.
University officials and Hillier met early on with neighbors who live adjacent to the property to discuss the project. Construction is expected to be completed in winter 2014.