Do you like math and science? Do you enjoy solving problems and working on interdisciplinary teams to create, design, and construct? Are you creative and innovative yet logical and analytical? If you answered yes to these questions, engineering or Information Technology (IT) may be for you! At the most basic level, engineers and IT professionals work to apply scientific practices to real-world problems. They want to figure out how to use technology to make life better. As an engineer or an IT professional, you can work in a variety of settings. You might work in a government agency monitoring air quality. You could work for a large corporation that manufactures airplanes. You might want to work in a developing country figuring out how communities can irrigate their crops. You could choose to work for a high-tech firm building computers. Or you might help lay out computer infrastructure for a hospital. All of these options are open to those with an engineering, including computer science, degree.
Selected Online Resources
- Use the drop-down box at the bottom of the screen to choose from over twenty different job boards specific to information technology and engineering such as ElectricalEngineer.com and ChemicalEngineer.com.
-Search for technical jobs in different levels and read their career news.
- This website lists engineering jobs, with a special page just for entry-level postings and job banks for each category of engineering.
- You can searches through millions of jobs from thousands of websites including Monster, Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, Net-temps, Dice, and Craigslist.
- Search for jobs in the computer game industry with employers including Electronic Arts and Nintendo. Job search and resume posting are available after a free registration.
-A unique site for technical jobs in gaming and entertainment. Free membership gets your application placed in their database which employers search. Premium membership allows you to take an assessment to customize your values and attitudes to the jobs being offered and allows you to upload examples of your work.
- The website posts jobs in multiple engineering disciplines as well as articles on the civil engineering field.
- This engineering community web site offers a job database, a resume database where job seekers can post their resumes, and a searchable company database which includes information about various companies.
Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- The site offers comprehensive lists of employers by scientific discipline, which can be a good starting point in a job search. In addition, there are career profiles of engineers currently in the field.
Telecom Careers Net
- The site provides job information and listings for those interested in the telecommunications industry. Read relevant articles and check out featured employers.
- The Washington Internships for Students of Engineering program sends outstanding engineering students to spend ten weeks in D.C. to learn how government officials make decisions on technological issues.
Selected Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
American Astronomical Society - http://aas.org
- The American Astronomical Society (AAS), established 1899, is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. The membership (~7,700) also includes physicists, mathematicians, geologists, engineers and others whose research interests lie within the broad spectrum of subjects now comprising contemporary astronomy.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- AIAA's mission is to advance the state of aerospace science, engineering, and technological leadership. It offers professional development, publications, industry updates and news, and more. Their career section includes job postings, salary information and career advice.
American Institute for Chemical Engineers
- AIChE provides members with technical resources as well as tools to manage their careers and lives. Job and internship database, resume bank and salary information. You must be a member to post your resume or apply for jobs online but can search and view jobs for free. Student membership is available.
American Institute for Medical & Biological Engineering
- The American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering was founded in 1991 to establish a clear and comprehensive identity for the field of medical and biological engineering - which is the bridge between the principles of engineering science and practice, and the problems and issues of biological and medical science and practice.
American Society of Civil Engineers
- ASCE's mission is to provide essential value to our members, their careers, our partners and the public by developing leadership, advancing technology, advocating lifelong learning and promoting the profession. The website offers career advice but the job board is for members only.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ASME enables collaboration, knowledge sharing and skill development across all engineering disciplines, while promoting the vital role of the engineer in society. ASME codes and standards, publications, conferences, continuing education and professional development programs provide a foundation for advancing technical knowledge and a safer world. The website includes job board, career resources, and salary information. You must be a member to post your resume or apply for jobs online but can search and view jobs for free.
Association for Computing Machinery
- ACM is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society, delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. It offers training, resources, and networking for members as well as a job board.
Association of Information Technology Professionals
- AITP offers professional development opportunities, networking, and job connections. Student membership is available. You must be a member to access the job board.
Foundation for Information Technology Education
-With the mission of promoting professional development of individuals in information systems industry, this organization provides scholarships and coordinate conferences.
Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE)
- This organization provides industry news and career resources among others and also coordinates student chapters.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- With a mission of advancement of technology, IEEE organizes professional development opportunities, provides news and updates, career educational information and more. The website includes job boards, employer profiles, and internships. The job search section is open to all but you must be a member to post a resume.
International Association of Financial Engineers
- The IAFE is a not-for-profit, professional society dedicated to fostering the profession of quantitative finance by providing platforms to discuss cutting-edge and pivotal issues in the field. The site offers job board and FAQs for considering a graduate degree.
Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- BMES’s vision is to serve as the lead society and professional home for biomedical engineering and bioengineering. The website includes industry news and career center.
National Society of Black Engineers
- NSBE is one of the largest student-run organizations in the country and is active both regional and national level. The website offers job database and resume posting service. You must be a member to search jobs and post resume.
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- SHPE is the Source for Quality Hispanic Engineers and Technical Talent providing professional development opportunities, promoting academic excellence, etc. The website
offers scholarships to current students.
Society of Women Engineers
- Society of Women Engineers empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering. The site includes resume posting service and job listings as well as scholarship opportunities. You must be a member to search jobs and post resume.