Gathering Information & Networking
Without knowing it, you are already trained to make contact with people you know or don’t know, whether that’s with fellow classmates, friends of friends, professors and administrative staff. If you apply this concept of meeting people and maintaining relationships to a professional setting and purpose, you have what is called “networking” or developing contacts.
- Learning about what careers are out there and what they are like, especially when considering expanded careers, or careers outside of the academy.
- Understanding the culture unique to an organization or industry.
- Finding out about job leads and getting referrals.
- Practicing skills similar to those used in interviewing for a position.
- Building a network of professional relationships that can be useful throughout your career.