Find another major of interest using the drop-down box below:
Near Eastern Studies
The Program in Near Eastern Studies provides students in any department of Princeton University the opportunity to study the languages, modern history, contemporary institutions, and problems of the Near East.
The major profile below includes: a sample of post-graduation plans of recent Princeton Near Eastern Studies graduates, a sample of internships from those in the major, and online resources and professional associations offering career information.
Post-Graduation Plans of Recent Near Eastern Studies Majors*
- Project Manager Associate - Park IP Translations, New York, NY
- Legal Analyst - Sherman and Sterling LLP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Recruiting Associate - Teach for America, Washington, DC
- Research Assistant - Afghanistan Center at Kabul University, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Online Operations Associate - Google, Mountainview, CA
- Story Coordinator - Inside Edition, New York, NY
- Fellow - Princeton Project 55: The Foundation Center, New York, NY
- Near Eastern Studies - M.A. - George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Islamic Studies - M.Div. - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Middle Eastern History - M.A. - Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- Classical Viola - M.Mus. - Manhattan School of Music, New York, NY
* These are actual jobs and graduate programs recent graduates accepted.
Internships of Recent Near Eastern Studies Majors
- Intern - Ashoka/Arab World Office, Cairo, Egypt
- Summer Analyst - Dunbar Capital, New York, NY
- Summer Intern - International Center for Black Seas Studies, Athens, Greece
- Research Intern - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Washington, DC
- Summer Intern - United States Department of Defense/Middle East Policy Office, Washington, DC
- Intern - National Council for US-Arab Relations, Washington, DC
Near Eastern Studies Alumni from Princeton
Alumni have VOLUNTEERED to have students contact them for advice and information about majors and careers. The Alumni Careers Network (ACN), with 4,500 volunteers worldwide, is a searchable on-line database of Princeton alumni who are willing and eager for you to contact them so they can provide you with advice and assistance. Search the database for Near Eastern Studies alumni, to learn more about the careers that people from this major sometimes pursue.
Resources and Information Online
- U.S. Dept. of Labor -Occupational Outlook Handbook- Interpreters and Translators
- Career Overview - International Marketing Careers
- The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Middle East Institute
- NIRA's Directory of Think Tanks
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Often professional association websites offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts. The National Trade and Professional Associations Directory in Career Services can provide more ideas.
- Middle East Studies Association
- Middle East Studies Association of North America
- International Association of Egyptologists
- National Council on US-Arab Relations
- The American Research Center in Egypt