Find another major of interest using the drop-down box below:
Philosophy is the study of large, difficult, and controversial questions, many of which have been the subject of inquiry and debate since ancient times. Some questions pertain to what is; others pertain to what ought to be.
The major profile below includes: a sample of post-graduation plans of recent Princeton Philosophy graduates, a sample of internships from those in the major, and online resources and professional associations offering career information.
Post-Graduation Plans of Recent Philosophy Majors*
- Analyst - Alcatel-Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ
- Software Engineer - Bloomberg, New York, NY
- Technology Associate - MicroStrategy, McLean, VA
- Legal Analyst - Richards Kibbe and Orbe LLP, New York, NY
- Analyst - SAP Americas, Philadelphia, PA
- Teacher - Teach for America, Houston, TX
- Junior Fellow - First Things Magazine, New York, NY
- Philosophy - Ph.D. - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Law - J.D. - Columbia University, New York, NY
- History - Ph.D. - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Systematic Theology - M.A. - Westminster Theological Seminary, Glenside, PA
- Mathematical Logic - Ph.D. - University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
* These are actual jobs and graduate programs recent accepted.
Internships of Recent Philosophy Majors
- Brand Corporate Affairs Intern - Astrazeneca, Wilmington, DE
- Researcher - German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, Saarbruecken, Germany
- Branch Manager - Ivy Insiders, Indianapois, IN
- Assistant to the Wealth Management Broker - Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, Beachwood, OH
- Creative/Marketing Intern - PCI-Media Impact, New York, NY
- Intern - Tortoise Investment Management, White Plains, NY
- Lab Researcher - University of Norrth Carolina Medical School, Chapel Hill, NC
- Intern - CBS, Los Angeles, CA
- Intern - Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ
- Intern - Priority Films, New York, NY
Philosophy Alumni from Princeton
Alumni have VOLUNTEERED to have students contact them for advice and information about majors and careers. The Alumni Careers Network (ACN), with 4,500 volunteers worldwide, is a searchable on-line database of Princeton alumni who are willing and eager for you to contact them so they can provide you with advice and assistance. Search the database for Philosophy alumni, to learn more about the careers that people from this major sometimes pursue.
Resources and Information Online
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Career Overview
- Riley Guide to Jobs in Philosophy
- Working your Degree in Philosophy
- Famous Philosophy Majors
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership- based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Often professional association websites offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts. The National Trade and Professional Associations Directory in Career Services can provide more ideas.