Skip over navigation

Instructions for Completing the Business Travel Expense Report

  • Complete the Business Travel Expense Report found on the Office of Finance and Treasury website. You can type directly onto the form, and the form will automatically calculate your totals. Include your PUID #, departure & return dates, destination, and purpose of your travel. When you’ve completed the form, just print it out.

  • Gather all your ORIGINAL receipts and arrange them in the following categories: Transportation (air, train, taxi, car, gas, parking, etc.), Lodging, Meals, (please arrange chronologically within), and Miscellaneous (registration fees. Internet charges, etc.). Include your boarding passes.

  • If you are missing a receipt you will need to fill out and sign a Missing Original Receipt form. One form for each missing receipt.

  • Credit Card statements are not acceptable forms of receipts but may be submitted along with the Missing Original Receipt form. You should hide your account number and balance.

  • Securely tape (do not staple) all your loose original receipts to an 8 ½ x 11 piece of paper, single-sided. You can tape multiple receipts to a single sheet of paper, but do not cover one receipt with another.

  • If the receipts are in foreign currency, please use the FXConverter on, and attach the printout of the rate. If travel covers several days, Oanda can provide the average rate for the time period (do not use the mid-date rate).

  • If a receipt does not state what was purchased, please clearly write on the receipt the item or service that was purchased.

  • Non-employees can only claim actual expenses with receipts (no per diems).

  • You can only use one reimbursement method for the entire trip – actual receipts or per diems. If you are submitting food receipts, remember to check your hotel bill for food services and if you have charges, they should be included as meals. Note charges for alcohol are not covered under a sponsored grant (project grants 155-4xxx/6xxx).

  • For domestic travel, use the U.S. General Services Administration per diem rates by searching for either the city or state at For international cities, you can use to find the appropriate per diem.

  • For foreign trips, the per diems are extremely high so please talk to your advisor.

  • On the first and last days of travel, per diem should be calculated at 75%.

  • Per diems for meals that are paid by a host (example: included in a conference registration fee) are reduced as follows: 20% for breakfast, 30% for lunch, and 50% for dinner.

  • You should include an itemized hotel bill. If you booked your hotel through the internet with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Kayak, etc. and receive no itemized bill from the hotel, please complete a Missing Original Receipt form.

  • Please only include the lodging and tax charges. Anything else, e.g., meals and telephone/internet, go on separate lines on the form. Movies and personal expenses are not reimbursable.

  • If you have used the department credit card to pay for any services in advance, i.e., Deluxe Travel, A-1 Limo, hotel or registration fees, please note the amount in the DIRECT PU PAYMENTS column, and attach a copy of the voucher. 

  • Transportation receipts would include train, buses, taxis, car rental bills (& gasoline), parking fees, and tolls. If you drove your personal car to the destination or to/from the airport, you can claim reimbursement for business mileage by including a printout from an on-line mapping software (yahoo maps or google maps) showing the distance in miles. The current mileage rate is .565 cents per mile, set by the Finance and Treasury Office.

  • Please include the project grant to be charged.  If you are not sure, you can check with your Advisor or Linda Patel. The account code should be either 275 for domestic travel or 276 for foreign travel.

  • Be sure to sign the form at the bottom. If you are a student or postdoc, your advisor must also sign.

Updated: 01/23/2013