Skip over navigation


Travelers will be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses of meals and tips. They should seek moderately priced restaurants and reasonably priced meals. Unreasonable claims will be subject to adjustment. When reimbursement is claimed for meals purchased for persons other than the traveler, details should be provided including name of guests and the purpose for the expense.

Group meals must be directly related to University business, and not exceed $125 per person (including tax and tip).

Alcohol and entertainment expenses are not reimbursable on government grants (155-4xxxx and 155-6xxxx).

The traveler has 2 options in which to request reimbursement for meals, and you can only use one or the other on your reimbursement voucher:

  1. Submit receipts for the meals. Each receipt should include the line items for the food.  If it doesnot, you will need to complete a Missing Original Receipt form. A credit card receipt with the total meal amount is not sufficient.

  2. Per diem based on the U.S. General Services Administration for domestic travel or the U.S. Department of State for international travel.

Note about the per diem:  On the first and last days of travel, per diem should be calculated at 75%.

When traveling in foreign cities, travelers may elect to use per diems for meals and incidentals only. Current rates are available at the U.S. Department of State Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location site. Travel Accounting will only accept rates documented from this site, and will not try to compare rates from other sources. The traveler must document that any foreign per diem claimed for meals and incidentals is from this site. Please note that these rates are extremely high and subject to your advisor’s approval.

Updated: 01/01/2013