Final Public Oral
Final Public Oral Checklist - (updated June 2012)
The format for your dissertation is at Mudd Library's website.
There is a maximum budget of $200 for dinner or lunch following your defense. The candidate should decide who they would like to invite and contact them directly. The department will also reimburse the candidate for up to two bound copies of their final dissertation.
- As soon as a student has a definite date for their FPO in view, s/he must meet with the dissertation committee, together with the DGS, to discuss together what additional work will be required for the dissertation to be accepted. This meeting-without which the FPO will not be scheduled-should take place well in advance of the submission to the department of the draft that the student intends to defend, the event that begins the five week countdown to the FPO. It should be held for example, as soon as students know when they will need to have defended their dissertation before starting a job, or as soon as they perceive that their project is approaching completion (e.g., when the last chapter is under way)
- Set the date for your defense (Confirm the date with the DGS and your committee, make sure the Graduate Administrator has the date to add to the Department calendar)
- In addition to the unbound copies of your dissertation that you submit to the department for display, you also need to make sure that each member of your dissertation committee receives an unbound copy as early as possible.
25 business days prior to defense date (submit to Graduate Administrator):
- One (1) complete unbound copy of dissertation
- Submit to each of your committee members a complete copy of dissertation
15 business days prior to defense date:
- Confirm with the Graduate Administrator that your readers have submitted their reports and report forms
- End of Enrollment Form (if not already previously submitted)
- If you would like request an embargo please let the Graduate Administrator know. This form will also need to be uploaded with the Advanced Degree Application. The form will need to be filled out and then signed by the committee. Ph.D. Embargo Request and Approval form
- Complete and submit Advanced Degree Application through SCORE.
- 1 bound copy of dissertation
Day after or the day of Defense:
- 1 bound copy of dissertation (hand deliver to Mudd Library)
- 1 electronic copy of dissertation in Adobe PDF format. Complete the online submission of your dissertation on the ProQuest UMI ETD Administrator website (www.etdadmin.com/princeton). Students are required to upload a PDF of their dissertation, choose publishing options, enter subject categories and keywords, and make payment (fees apply only if you have chosen the Open Access publishing option or copyright registration or if you wish to order additional bound copies of your work). You will need a check for made out to “Princeton University Library.” Fees are listed on Mudd Library's website.(hand deliver to Mudd Library)
- Print-out the confirmation email that you receive when your submission is complete and bring it to the Mudd Manuscript Library with:
- 1 bound copy of your Dissertation (see the Mudd Dissertation Requirements Document for formatting requirements)
- a Dissertation maintenance fee of $15 (exact cash, personal check or bank check made out to Princeton University Library)
- Final Public Oral Examination Report (FPO) form, signed by the DGS to indicate successful completion of the examination (hand deliver to Mudd Library, Mudd Library will sign and you will deliver the signed original to the Graduate School)
- If you have requested an embargo, you must provide written documentation of approval from the Graduate School (email from Dean Redman) (hand deliver to Mudd Library)
- Suvery of Earned Doctorates, Print a hard copy of the "Certificate of Completion" page of the SED. (To complete the SED, go to https://sed.norc.org/survey) (hand deliver to the Graduate School)
- Exit Questionnaire, Print a hard copy of "Confirmation of Completion" page. (hand deliver to the Graduate School)