Skip over navigation

On Campus

Chartered in 1746 as the College of New Jersey -- the name by which it was known for 150 years -- Princeton University is the fourth oldest college in the United States. Located in Elizabeth for one year and then in Newark for nine, the College of New Jersey moved to Princeton in 1756. Nassau Hall contained the entire College for nearly half a century. In 1896, when expanded program offerings brought the College university status, the College of New Jersey was officially renamed Princeton University in honor of its host community Princeton.