350 for 50
Pens at the ready…it’s time for Cotsen’s annual writing competition! We challenge you to write a short, 350-word story that includes the sentence, "The image blurred, then darkened.” (just 345 words left to go!). Winning stories will be published in the Summer 2014 issue of the Picture Book Press, and the authors will enjoy a $50 shopping spree at Labyrinth Books!
Contest submissions are due by 3:00pm on Friday, March 14, 2014.
See below for submission requirements. To print this information, click here.
350 for 50 Contest Submission Requirements
- Stories must be no longer than 350 words (but can be less than 350 words), and MUST include the sentence, "The image blurred, then darkened.”
- One submission per author, please.
- No poems, illustrations, or comics, please.
- One winner will be selected from each of our three age categories (ages 8-10, 11-13, and 14-16).
- Stories must be submitted via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The following MUST be included with your submission: Your name, age (as of March 14, 2014), and mailing address. Please make sure this information is on the SAME PAGE as your story!
- Winners will be notified via postal mail beginning March 21, 2014.
Want to go to the ball, but have no dress? We can fix that! We’ll provide a slew of art materials, you supply the style! In keeping with Cinderella’s recycling theme (case in point: pumpkins to coaches and back again) some of our supplies are items you might not necessarily consider for a grand night out.
Before you despair, take a closer look at the fabulous dress above. It's the creation of local high school artist Vicky Gebert. Working over the course of 25 hours, Vicky used 5 feet of bubble wrap, 30 trashcan liners, 60 straws, 100 t-shirt bags, 25 forks, 25 feet of blue lace print, 1 Styrofoam box, and 5 feet of chicken wire! This dress will be on display at the program, accompanied by Vicky and her “fairy godmother” talents.
Also attending to lend inspiration and expertise are Princeton University students from the Sustainable Fashion Initiative and Stella Art Club. This is a fashion experience you definitely don’t want to miss!
Saturday, April 5
10:00am – 12:00pm
Registration REQUIRED (see below)
Free of charge
Registration begins Monday, March 24. Program will book on a first-come, first-served basis until full. To register, contact Dana Sheridan, Cotsen Children’s Library: email@example.com 609-258-2697.