Princeton in Dar es Salaam is an intensive eight-week course in Swahili language instruction. Students can choose between elementary or intermediate Swahili language instruction. Students who successfully complete the program will receive credit for Elementary Swahili I (SWA 101T) and Elementary Swahili II (SWA 102T) OR Intermediate Swahili I (SWA 105T) and Intermediate Swahili II (SWA 107T). The two courses, at either the elementary or intermediate level, and the final course grades will appear on the Princeton University transcript.
In addition to in-class language instruction in Kiswahili, students have the opportunity to use their free time to volunteer in the local community through activities in local schools, youth programs, and non-governmental community services.
In the past, Princeton students have taught English and other subjects at Burney's Academy at Mbezi, taught English and Chinese at the Mwenge Woodcarvers youth group, cared for children at Chakuwama orphanage and at SOS Children's Village at Dar es Salaam, and tutored entrepreneurs in business skills at the University of Dar es Salaam's (UDSM) local chapter of the International Association of Students in Economics and Business Management.
Course Schedule: Monday–Friday
- 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.: In-class Swahili grammar lessons
- 10:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.: Small group tutorials and immersion sessions with teaching assistants and UDSM-based native speakers
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Lunch break
- 2:00 – 5:00 p.m.: Volunteer sessions/assigned community-based activities
- Weekly tests every Friday
- End-term exam on each fourth Friday
- Weekly essay and oral presentation on the week’s experience in volunteer/community service due every Monday
Total class hours: 60 (15 hours per week + 60 hours of independent/volunteer work)
Evaluation rubric per course unit:
- 3 Weekly in-class grammar tests every Friday - 30%
- 4 Weekly essays due every Monday @ 5% each - 20%
- Participation in oral/written class/group discussions/presentations @ 5% per week - 20%
- Final exam - on Friday of each fourth week - 30%