Skip over navigation
Princeton University
Office of the Dean of the Faculty

Summary of Compensation, Service, and Benefits Plans and Programs for Members of the Faculty

Last revised: April 2016


Arrangements for Payment of Salary

Faculty salaries are paid at the end of each of the 10 months from September through June for duties performed during the nine-month academic year, and for the time before academic duties begin in September and after they cease in June.

Arrangements may be made through local banks, or through the Princeton University Employees Federal Credit Union, for monies to be set aside from the employee's academic-year salary to cover salary in the summer months.

Arrangements may be made with the Treasurer's Office for the automatic deposit of salary payments in one of the banks in the area approved by Princeton for automatic deposit. Any questions about deductions or information concerning a change in deductions, including those for income tax, should be addressed to the Payroll Section, Treasurer's Office, 5 New South Building, (609) 258-3083.

Summer Employment

Faculty receiving summer salaries are paid at a rate of one-ninth of the academic-year salary per month. Such appointments do not normally exceed two months' duration. University policy permits the payment of summer salary for up to 2.5 months, provided that any salary beyond two months is derived from outside sources (4000, 6000 accounts).  Requests for summer salary beyond two months must include a statement that no vacation will be taken during this time. Summer salary payments are made at the end of July and at the end of August. Summer employment must be authorized each year, in advance, through procedures established by the Dean of the Faculty.

Relation of Compensation to Duty Assignment

It is the long-established policy of the University that the academic-year salary includes compensation for all duties performed during the academic year, whether in teaching, research, or administration. Changes in duty assignment do not, therefore, alter a full-time faculty member's salary. Exceptions to this policy are made only for participation as an underclass academic adviser, service as chair or director of an academic department or program, and in other special cases, such as participation in lecture or conference programs not part of the regular University curriculum, authorized by the Dean of the Faculty.

Absence from Teaching Duty

A member of the faculty may not ask anyone who is not a member of the faculty to perform his or her teaching duties unless approval is obtained in advance from the departmental chair and the Dean of the Faculty. Faculty members should inform the departmental chair of their intention to ask another member of the faculty to perform their teaching duties.

An individual member of the faculty who wishes to be absent from the campus for an interval of three or more consecutive days during the term time (the weeks of classes and the reading and examination periods) must have the permission of the departmental chair, and should discuss with the departmental chair well in advance the need for the absence and the arrangements to fulfill teaching and other academic responsibilities.

Outside Consulting and Teaching

The University has established rules and guidelines with respect to teaching and consulting outside the University. For more specific information, please contact your departmental chair or the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.

Leaves for Scholarship

The leave program of the University is designed to ensure that faculty members may be relieved periodically from normal teaching and other University duties in order to pursue scholarship. Leaves are recommended by the Chair of the department on the basis of a faculty member's proposed program of scholarship, while taking into account the teaching and service needs of the department. The leave program does not guarantee that each faculty member receives a specified number of leaves during a given number of years. It is intended rather to provide flexibility in planning both for the individual faculty member's scholarly pursuits and for the instructional program of the department. There are several kinds of leave, including sabbatical leave and leave without pay. For sabbatical leaves, at least five consecutive semesters of active service must precede the leave. For leaves without pay, at least two consecutive semesters of active service must precede the leave. No member of the faculty may be on a leave of any kind for more than four semesters in a seven-year period.

Sabbatical Leaves. Tenured faculty are eligible for leaves with pay for scholarship after five consecutive semesters of active service. In this context, semesters including short-term disability or workload relief for childcare are considered semesters of active service. Sabbatical leaves may be with full pay for one semester or half pay for two semesters in the same academic year. External funds may be used to provide the other half salary so long as these funds do not entail obligations which alter the purpose of the leave. One semester of paid leave may be "banked" to be used at a later time, with the understanding that no more than one semester of paid leave may be banked at a time and that five semesters of active service remains the minimum interval between sabbatical leaves. For example, faculty may elect to serve ten semesters of active service and take one academic year on leave at full pay. Note that sabbatical leaves are available only to faculty who are actively engaged in scholarship, teaching, and service.

One-in-Six Leaves for Assistant Professors in the Humanities or Social Sciences. An assistant professor in the humanities or social sciences is granted one semester's leave with full pay or its equivalent during his or her first three-year appointment. 

Leaves for Bicentennial Preceptors. A Bicentennial Preceptor is granted one academic year's leave with full pay during the term as Bicentennial Preceptor in addition to the one-in-six leave granted to assistant professors in the humanities and social sciences.

Leaves for University Preceptors. A University Preceptor is granted one semester's leave with pay in addition to the one-in-six leave granted to assistant professors in the humanities and social sciences.

Leaves without Pay (Including Leaves for Personal Reasons). Leaves without pay may be recommended by the Chair of the department on the basis of a faculty member's needs, provided that the department's teaching and other functions can be met. In addition to those for scholarship, leaves without pay may be granted for such purposes as the temporary assumption of an important government post, a temporary honorific professorial or administrative appointment, or for personal reasons, including child-rearing. Leaves without pay are not, however, granted for regular teaching at another institution.

Normally leaves without pay are granted for no more than one year. Under certain circumstances, typically in connection with government service, an extension of one year is permitted, but at the end of that time the University normally requires that the faculty member either return or resign. Extensions may not be granted for leaves for scholarship, whether paid or unpaid. In all cases the Dean of the Faculty shall be consulted at the outset of negotiations with an outside party. All leaves without pay must be approved by the Dean of the Faculty, and when combined with leaves for scholarship, including sabbaticals, may not exceed four semesters in a seven-year period.

 Benefits Coverage during Leaves of Absence.
The University is not permitted by the Internal Revenue Service to contribute to a faculty member's retirement plan account during a leave of absence without pay. However, coverage in most other benefit plans continues during the months a faculty member is on leave either with or without pay. When a faculty member is on leave without pay, he or she will be billed for the cost of benefits that are normally reduced from salary.

For more specific information, refer to the pamphlet The Status of Your Benefits During a Leave of Absence which is available through the Office of the Dean of the Faculty or the Office of Human Resources, 1 New South Building.

Tenure Clock Extensions for New Parents

An Assistant Professor who becomes the parent of a child by birth or adoption is automatically granted an additional year to pursue tenure. The Assistant Professor's service is extended by one year for each child, including twins and other multiple births or adoptions. Extensions are available to (1) Assistant Professors in the first term, before the final year of that term; (2) Assistant Professors in the final year of the first term who have been reappointed to a second term; and (3) Assistant Professors in the second term, before the final year of that term. This applies to both men and women, and includes same-sex domestic partnerships which are recognized by the University. Department chairs are responsible for notifying the Dean of the Faculty about tenure clock extensions for new parents.

Workload Relief for New Parents

Upon request, faculty members who have primary responsibility for the care of a newborn infant or newly-adopted pre-school child are granted one semester of full workload relief from classroom teaching and administrative committee work, or two semesters of half relief from such duties (at full pay) per child. The faculty member must be the sole caregiver of the child for at least 20 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Workload relief should not be scheduled in the same semester in which paid leave for childbearing (a.k.a. maternity leave or short-term disability leave) is taken. These are separate and distinct benefits for birth mothers. The faculty member's responsibilities for research and undergraduate and graduate student advising remain unchanged. A faculty member who wants to request workload relief as a new parent should inform their department chair in writing, describing their responsibility for the care of the child; this is normally done at least three months before the start of the workload relief. The department chair will notify the Dean of the Faculty.

Internal Research Grants

Members of the faculty may apply through their departments for research grants from the University Committee on Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, or from other funds or programs in specific areas or departments. Information may be obtained from the department or from the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.

Duty Assignment in Sponsored Research Programs and Projects

Arrangements for shift in duty assignment and salary allocation between teaching and sponsored research programs or projects are made in accordance with established procedures that include departmental recommendations and approval by the Dean of the Faculty. Commitments to sponsored research programs normally may not entail more than 50 percent of a faculty member's duty time.

Travel to Meetings of Learned Societies

The University assists regular, full-time faculty members with travel to a meeting of a learned society or conference once during the academic year. Faculty members may obtain further information about the guidelines for reimbursement and the procedures to be followed by going to the Learned Society Travel Fund link on our website, from their home department, or from the Office of the Dean of the Faculty directly.

Reimbursement for Moving and Relocation Expenses

New full-time regular (not visiting) appointees to the faculty may be provided with a contribution to the costs of moving furniture and personal effects to the Princeton area. The payment of these contributions is determined by a policy of subvention of "reasonable expenses," which is available from the department or from the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.

Office Space and Secretarial Services

The departmental chair or the program director has the responsibility of assigning office space and secretarial services to individual faculty members. The chair or the director is also responsible for the funds, facilities, equipment, and supplies assigned to the department or program, subject to such consultation with respect to its use as may be customary in the department or program.

Partner Placement

Special Assistant to the Dean of the Faculty
Faculty members who would like assistance with partner placement may request that their department chair contact Professor of Psychology Joan Girgus (, (609) 258-5345) on their behalf. Professor Girgus serves as Special Assistant to the Dean of the Faculty and assists with partner placement issues in connection with the recruitment or retention of faculty members.

New Jersey Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NJ-HERC)

The New Jersey Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NJ-HERC) is a consortium of 28 colleges and universities in New Jersey, who sponsor a NJ-HERC searchable database ( that lists all the jobs (faculty, administration, and staff) currently available on the 28 campuses. Job hunters can enter descriptions of the jobs that would interest them, and the website will send them email when a job that matches a description appears. Couples can register linked descriptions and be notified when two positions matching their needs appear.


Members of the faculty whose duty time is 50 percent or greater for appointments of five months or more are eligible to participate in the benefit plans described in this section. Benefits for Visiting Faculty are described at the end of this section.

The following summaries are for general information only. The University intends to continue each of the benefit plans.  However, it reserves the right to terminate or amend any Plan at any time and for any reason.  Any inquiries on details of the benefit plans listed in this section should be addressed to the Office of Human Resources, 1 New South Building, (609) 258-3300. More detailed information may also be found on the Benefits Web site (

Princeton University Retirement Plan

Princeton's retirement plan is offered through the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA) and the affiliated College Retirement Equities Fund (CREF).

The retirement plan provides for University contributions of 9.3 percent of base salary up to the Social Security taxable wage base and 15 percent above it, with no required contributions by the individual. These contributions are made only on the base salary paid by the University, and not on the basis of external funding or leaves of absence without pay. Individuals may specify the allocation of contributions between TIAA (fixed and variable annuity funds) and CREF (eight variable annuity funds) in whole percentage amounts. Participation is effective the first of the month coincident with or next following the date of appointment, and faculty members are fully vested after two and one half years of service. Length of employment with a previous employer will be credited toward the vesting requirement if the previous employer was classified as an exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or if the faculty member was employed by a public college or university which normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where its educational activities are regularly carried on. The previous employer is defined as the faculty member's most recent employer prior to joining the University. However, employment with the previous employer will not be credited if employment was terminated more than six months before the individual was appointed as a faculty member at Princeton University. Written verification must be provided by the previous employer.

Tax Deferred Annuity Plan

Faculty members wishing to increase their post-retirement income may make pretax contributions through salary reduction to a Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA) contract through TIAA-CREF. Individuals may specify the allocation of contributions between TIAA (fixed and variable annuity funds) and CREF (eight variable annuity funds) in whole percentage amounts.

The GSRA maintains the same basic features as the regular retirement plan with some added options. Under the GSRA, your total accumulation may be paid as a lump sum benefit and loans can be drawn from the plan during employment. Accumulations may be transferred to the over 30 investment funds that are available through the Princeton University Retirement Plan with The Vanguard Group.

Social Security and Medicare

Faculty members participate in the Federal Social Security and Medicare Systems by making contributions, equally with the University, through payroll deduction. Contributions are made at the rate of 6.20% on earnings up to the Social Security Taxable Wage Base for Social Security, and at the rate of 1.45% on all earnings for Medicare Hospital Insurance.

Life Insurance Plan

Faculty members receive University paid basic life insurance coverage of one and one half times annual base salary up to a maximum benefit of $500,000. In addition, faculty members receive University paid coverage for accidental death or dismemberment. The amount of this coverage is also equal to one and one half times annual base salary up to a maximum benefit of $500,000. Both benefits take effect on the date of appointment and continue at this rate until age 60, when they are reduced gradually each year based on a schedule available from the Office of Human Resources. At retirement, University paid life insurance coverage ceases.

Faculty members are also covered under the University paid Business Travel Accident Insurance Plan. The coverage takes effect on the date of appointment and is equal to five times annual base salary, up to a maximum benefit of $500,000. The benefit is reduced beginning at age 70.

In addition, the University offers the opportunity to purchase supplemental group term life insurance. Under this   plan, faculty members may choose an additional lump sum benefit of one, two, three, or four times the final annual base salary up to a maximum benefit of $700,000. The cost for supplemental insurance depends on base salary, the option chosen, and the age of the faculty member and is fully paid by the faculty member on an after-tax basis (salary deduction).

Paid Leaves for Childbearing

Princeton offers paid temporary disability leave from three weeks before to six to ten weeks after birth (or more) based on medical certification that a faculty member is unable to perform her work. Faculty members are expected to take advantage of this benefit. A faculty member should notify her department chair about the expected delivery date and expected length of absence as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made for her absence during that period. The chair will notify the Dean of the Faculty. At the start of the absence due to pregnancy, the faculty member should ask her attending physician to complete a medical certificate that can be obtained from the Office of the Dean of the Faculty or on the web at This certificate should be updated every three to four weeks during the disability.

Temporary Disability Plan

Princeton's state-approved, private temporary disability plan provides eligible faculty with income security during an extended period of illness, injury, or other disability. For details of this policy, please visit the Office of Human Resources website at

Long Term Disability Insurance Plan

Faculty members are eligible for University paid long term disability insurance coverage after one year of service. The one-year waiting period is waived if the faculty member was enrolled in a long term disability plan with the previous employer. The previous employer is defined as the faculty member's most recent employer prior to joining the University. However, employment with the previous employer will not be credited if employment was terminated more than six months before the individual was appointed as a faculty member at Princeton University. Written verification must be provided by the previous employer. Under this plan, a faculty member who qualifies for long term disability payments will receive a monthly sum which, together with benefits derived from Social Security and/or Worker's Compensation programs, will equal 60percent of base salary at the onset of the disability, up to a maximum benefit of $10,000 per month. Eligibility for most benefits, including health care plan coverage, will continue during the period of long term disability.

Health Care Plan

Faculty members and their eligible family members may select health care plan coverage under the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan, the Point of Service (POS) Plan, or a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plan. Employee only coverage is available under the Catastrophic Plan. There is no pre-existing condition exclusion in any plan offered by the University.

The Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan, administered by United HealthCare, features both an In-Network and Out-of-Network component. The In-Network approach allows members to seek care without having to designate a primary care physician. As a result, it is not necessary to obtain a referral before visiting another physician or specialist who participates in the provider network. Other features of the In-Network portion of the plan include a copay for office visits, and a deductible and coinsurance for most other services. The Out-of-Network portion of the plan provides the participant with the ability to see any physician, but at a greater cost. There is a deductible and coinsurance requirement for Out-of-Network services.

The Point of Service (POS) Plan, administered by Oxford Health Plans, features both an In-Network and Out-of-Network component. The In-Network approach requires that members seek care through a primary care physician and features no deductible, no claim forms, and a copay for office visits. Under the Out-of-Network portion of the plan, members may see a physician who is not a part of the network, but at a greater cost. There is a deductible and coinsurance requirement for Out-of-Network services.

The Catastrophic Plan is an indemnity plan that is available to employees only at no charge. (No coverage is available for a spouse and/or children.) This plan is designed to provide coverage in the event of a catastrophic illness or injury. Reimbursement through this plan will not begin until an annual deductible of $4,000 is reached.

There is no separate prescription drug program with this plan. If you are enrolled in this plan and also have medical coverage elsewhere, your coverage in the Catastrophic Plan will be primary. You will be required to submit all claims through this plan first.

Several HMO plans are also available. Brochures and application forms are available through the Office of Human Resources, 1 New South Building.

In addition, information in chart form highlighting the expenses covered under each plan, and the monthly cost of each plan, is available through the Office of Human Resources, 1 New South Building, and on the Benefits Web site (

The faculty member's contributions towards the cost of the health care plan, if any, are reduced from the faculty member's pay on a pretax basis (salary reduction).

Benefit Expense Account Plans (Flexible Spending Accounts)

Faculty members may establish a Health Benefit Expense Account (HBEA) to cover medical expenses not reimbursed or covered by their health care plans. A Dependent Care Expense Account (DCEA) may be established to cover expenses which are incurred for care of eligible dependents to allow the faculty member and spouse (if married) to work or to attend school full time. Both HBEA and DCEA accounts are fully funded by the faculty member through pretax contributions (salary reduction).

Vision Care Plan

Faculty members and their eligible family members may enroll in the Vision Care Plan. This plan is designed to encourage participants to maintain their vision through regular eye examinations and to assist with vision care expenses for required glasses or contact lenses. The cost of the plan is fully paid by the faculty member on a pretax basis (salary reduction).

Dental Care Plan

Faculty members and their eligible family members may enroll in the Dental Care Plan. The cost of the plan is fully paid by the faculty member on a pre-tax basis (salary reduction).

Group Long Term Care

Long Term Care provides a variety of services for people who are unable to care for themselves, and, is often referred to as custodial care. Medicare and private health insurance plans or disability coverage typically do not provide coverage for long term care needs. Group Long Term Care coverage is designed specifically to cover the costs associated with extended long term care. All benefits eligible regular staff members (with the exception of those appointed to a visiting rank through the Office of the Dean of Faculty), their spouse, same sex domestic partner, parents, grandparents, parents-in-law, and grandparents-in-law may apply.

Children's Educational Assistance Plan

After five years of benefits-eligible service, the University provides faculty members with an annual tuition grant equal to one half of tuition and mandatory educational fees up to a maximum annual benefit for their child(ren)'s undergraduate study at an accredited two or four-year college.

Education and Training Programs

Computing and Information Technology Programs
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) offers a wide variety of IT training for faculty.   The New Media Center located at 87 Prospect conducts a series of workshops each semester.   In-office appointments introducing faculty to the University’s on-line course information system, Blackboard, also is provided through OIT Academic Services.   For faculty who need to use University administrative systems, ongoing training workshops in the basic use of these tools also are available.   More information on OIT training for faculty can be found at

Program in Continuing Education
Under the University's Program in Continuing Education, members of the Faculty with at least six months of service at 50% duty time and their spouses, same-sex domestic partners, and dependents may enroll in one course at Princeton University each semester at a reduced tuition rate. Admission to the program is selective, based on the quality of the applicant's academic and nonacademic experience as related to the plan of study. Applicants are asked to submit letters of reference, transcripts, and test scores, if available. Admission decisions are made by the Director of the Program in Continuing Education. The Office of the Dean of the Graduate School is consulted when an applicant wishes to enroll in a graduate course. Continuing education students fully participate in class and receive a transcript of grades for completed courses. However, they are enrolled on a term-by-term basis and are not eligible for a Princeton degree. Each year, the Program in Continuing Education announces the scale of tuition charges. For further information call the Office of Community and State Affairs at 609-258-3204, send e-mail (, or access the Web site (

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program

Effective October 1, 2004, the university has begun offering an enhanced, confidential Faculty and Staff Assistance Program at no cost to university employees and their household members through Carebridge Corporation, a company with a proven track record in the field of employee assistance.  This program provides assistance in the areas of work management, personal, or family issues. 

Carebridge work-life counselors are trained, credentialed, and experienced in helping in areas such as: work relationships, alcohol and drug problems, stress management, family/parenting relationships, depression or anxiety, grief and loss, financial pressures, difficult emotional issues, spousal/child/parent abuse, marital relationships, and other similar issues or problems.  The service is strictly confidential and no names are identified or reported to anyone without your written authorization.

Carebridge is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week by calling 1-800-437-0911. The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program will provide up to six face-to-face or telephone counseling sessions for each issue that requires personal counseling (e.g. work relationships, substance abuse, or marital counseling).  Over the telephone, Carebridge counselors will provide unlimited consultations, referrals, and information to assist with the resolution of your work-life needs such as help with eldercare or child care, personal financial management, or time management. In addition, Carebridge maintains a website at which can be accessed for information on a wide variety of topics, including child care and eldercare locater resources.   In addition, our Office of Human Resources maintains a website where they post topics of special interest received from Carebridge on a monthly basis:

Back-up Care for Family Members

Faculty members are eligible for Backup Care Options, which provides up to 100 hours of back-up care per calendar year. The care can be requested for anyone for whom the faculty member is responsible, including children, spouses and partners, parents and grandparents; the person for whom backup care is requested does not have to live with the faculty member. This program is managed by Work Options Group, which has an exclusive network of licensed in-home and center-based care providers in all 50 states and Canada. Backup Care Options is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for infants through the elderly. The co-pay is $4 an hour for in-home care (for up to three dependents) and $2 an hour per child for center-based care. For additional information, go to

Benefits Plans for Visiting Faculty

Visiting faculty members who are receiving a salary from Princeton University and whose duty time is 50% or greater for appointments of five months or more are eligible for the following benefits coverage:

Retirement Plan
Upon request by the visiting faculty member and verification by the home institution that it is not making contributions to its retirement plan based on the visiting faculty member's earnings from Princeton University, the University will make contributions to the Princeton University Retirement Plan through TIAA-CREF on the individual's behalf. Contributions are made at the same rate as contributions for regular members of the faculty. The request for contributions must be made by the visiting faculty member within the term of appointment at  Princeton. Visiting faculty must also meet the two and one half years of service vesting requirement, but can count service at their most recent employer towards that requirement under certain circumstances. (See Princeton University Retirement Plan.) Visiting faculty members may also make their own contributions on a pretax basis (salary reduction) to a Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA) contract through TIAA-CREF.

Health Care Plan
Visiting faculty members and their eligible family members may enroll in the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan, Point of Service (POS) Plan, the Catastrophic Plan, or one of the Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plans. (See Health Care Plan.)

Temporary Disability Plan
Salary replacement within the term of appointment for up to an equivalent of six months is provided to visiting faculty under the University's Temporary Disability plan during a period of illness, injury or disability.

Benefit Expense Account Plan (Flexible Spending Accounts)
Visiting faculty members are eligible to participate in the University's Benefit Expense Account Plan. (See Benefit Expense Account Plan.)

The remaining Princeton University benefits are not available to visiting faculty members.


Rental Housing

To encourage faculty members to live close to the University, Princeton owns and manages over 600 rental units, including both houses and apartments, which it rents to eligible faculty.  

The rental housing program is administered by our Housing and Real Estate Services, 5 New South Building. Anyone wishing further information should contact the Housing Office at (609) 258-3125.

Mortgage Loan Program

The University also has a mortgage loan program to assist faculty members in locating near the University. Through this program, Princeton offers mortgage financing, under policies and procedures established by the Board of Trustees, at advantageous rates and terms to eligible faculty members for the purchase of homes within a nine-mile radius of the University.

This program is administered by our University Mortgages Services, 7 New South Building. Anyone considering applying for a mortgage loan should contact the UMS office at (609) 258-3123.

Additional Programs for Tenured Faculty

There are additional housing programs for tenured faculty. For information, contact the Office of Real Estate Finance, (609) 258-3123.


Athletic Events

Members of the faculty and their families may purchase special discounted season tickets for men's basketball. The Princeton Weekly Bulletin lists the times and locations of all events and indicates whether or not there is an admission charge. Intramural information is also listed on the Recreational Facility Hotline (voice mail), (609) 258-4466, and on the Athletics Department Web site (

Athletic Facilities

Many of the major athletic facilities of the University are available to faculty members and their families at specified times throughout the week for a fee. Detailed information about the purchase of permits, fees, and regulations covering the use of facilities may be obtained from the Jadwin Gymnasium ticket office, (609) 258-3538. The hours of availability for all recreational facilities are listed on the Recreational Facility Hotline (voice mail), (609) 258-4466, and on their Web site (see Athletic Events).

Computer Facilities

Faculty are pre-assigned University Network IDs that allow access to the Internet, E-mail, and World Wide Web resources, as well as campus computing and network services. The ID also can be used by managers of departmental systems to extend access to those local resources.

The instructional support staff of the Office of Information Technology (OIT) work with faculty on use of media, computing, and other technologies for instruction. These OIT staff help establish virtual classroom environments using the Blackboard system, and assist with class-specific Web pages and class-specific electronic mailing lists.   OIT also can install licensed software for class use in campus computer clusters, and can stock audio and video materials for class use.    OIT supports and maintains classroom technologies, the University language laboratory, and both the Educational Technology Center and the New Media Center for development of instructional materials. For more information, faculty can contact the New Media Lab by phone at (609) 258-6073 or by email (; and the Educational Technology Center by phone at (609) 258-6903 or by email (

OIT also assists with selection and configuration of desktop computers and offers a variety of in-office computing support services including hardware and software installation and troubleshooting. The OIT Help Desk assists faculty with information on use of the campus and network resources (see Telephone and voice mail service and office connection to the campus television system also are available to faculty through OIT.   A more complete list of available services and support may be seen at

Credit Union

Princeton University Federal Credit Union (PUFCU) is a full service institution that has served the financial needs of the faculty and staff of Princeton University since 1972. PUFCU offers savings and checking accounts that earn competitive dividends. The National Credit Union Administration federally insures all members’ accounts up to $100,000. Low-rate loans are readily available to members of PUFCU and include Home Equity Loans/Lines of Credit, Personal Loans/Lines of Credit, New and Used Auto Loans, Computer Loans, and Shares Pledged Loans. Princeton University Federal Credit Union offers its members a variety of ways to access their accounts including the PUFCU ATM Card/VISA Check Card and CALL 24 Telephone Banking. Direct deposit/ACH and payroll deduction are also available.

PUFCU is a federally chartered, non-profit institution that is governed by its members. PUFCU is not open to the general public, but members of the faculty and staff of Princeton University, and members of their immediate family, are eligible for membership.

For more information contact PUFCU, conveniently located in the Armory Building, at (609) 258-5038, e-mail, or access their Web site (

Cultural Opportunities

Notices of public lectures, concerts, dramatic performances, and exhibitions are listed in the Princeton Weekly Bulletin, which is sent free of charge to all faculty and staff members at their home address. You may also access the Office of Communications Web site (

McCosh Health Center

The Employee Health Office, a unit of Princeton University Health Services in McCosh Health Center, is available to all full-time and part-time faculty and staff for work-related matters and other services. The following services are available:

  1. Allergy Services (call ext. 8-5035 for details of program and appointments; fee for service)
  2. Travel Immunizations (call ext. 8-5035 for information and appointments; faculty, staff and dependents over age 13 are eligible; fee for service unless it is a work-related and administered as part of medical treatment for work/occupationally related illness or injury)
  3. Other services (such as immunization services for non-work-related requirements or immunization updates upon recommendation of personal physician; call for information).
  4. Heart Smart Health Assessments (call ext. 8-5035 for more information).

The main contact number of the Employee Health Office is (609) 258-5035 and information is also available from their web site (


Parking is available through the University Parking Plan. Faculty members are assigned a parking permit for an assigned numbered lot, not a specific space, and may apply for a decal in the TigerCard/Parking Office in the New South Building, A Level. Detailed parking and traffic regulations are issued at that time. Vehicles parked in campus lots must display a current decal.

Prospect Association

Prospect Association operates Prospect House, a private dining club for faculty and staff of Princeton University and their guests. Membership to Prospect House is automatic on your date of appointment. Your Princeton University identification card entitles you to the use of Prospect House.

Prospect House offers a choice of dining options.

The Garden Room, located on the main floor, offers a full-service, a la carte menu. On the lower level, the Tap Room Cafe offers a more casual cuisine in a self-service dining environment. During the academic year, an extensive Sunday Brunch is served in the Garden Room.

As a member, you may utilize Prospect House for specialty catering. They specialize in departmental banquets, luncheons, dinners, cocktail receptions, meetings and personal social events like weddings or Bar Mitzvahs.

Special "House" events are scheduled throughout the academic year for the enjoyment of Prospect House members.

For reservations or more information, call (609) 258-3087.


All faculty members are issued a TigerCard which establishes your University affiliation and serves as a photo ID card that certifies their University affiliation for purposes of general identification.   The TigerCard provides access to a variety of University facilities--such as  the Library, athletics facilities (access requires the purchase of a gym pass), McCosh Health Center, the Housing Office, and the Frist Campus Center Ticket Office.  In addition, the TigerCard may also be used as a debit card to buy food or photocopying services and to gain admittance to those campus buildings which are electronically secured.

Identification cards are also available to spouses, domestic partners, and dependents under the age of 25, who must show them in order to use University facilities.   (An application and additional documents are required.   Call the TigerCard Office, 609-258-5436, for additional information.)

University Community Childcare and Nursery School Facilities

University-N.O.W. Day Nursery, located at 171 Broadmead, has been providing full-time, quality childcare to the University community since 1970, and is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. Serving children three months through five years of age, the Nursery offers academic year and/or summer options and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. An extremely low staff turnover rate results in a stable environment provided by experienced professionals. Hot meals and snacks are provided during the academic year, and special activities such as music, nature, and tumbling enrich the program year round. University faculty and staff receive priority for admission and limited financial assistance is available. To visit the school or to request a brochure, call (609) 924-4214, or visit their Web site (

The University League Nursery School (ULNS), located at 171 Broadmead, was founded in 1949 and is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.   ULNS is a cooperative school that offers parents a unique opportunity to participate in their children’s early educational experiences. Parents help in their child’s classroom approximately one morning a month.   Priority in admission is given to University employees and students, and some financial aid is available based on need.   Serving children two and a half years of age through four years of age, ULNS offers a flexible choice of part-day and full-day programs, as well as an eight-week summer program.   Experienced, professional nursery school teachers provide care for the children between 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.   Music, movement and a parent-sponsored enrichment program enhance the curriculum. To visit the school or to request further information, call (609) 924-3137, or visit their Web site   (

Princeton University and the Dow Jones Family Center (DJFC) in Monmouth Junction have an agreement whereby Princeton faculty and staff are eligible to enroll their children in the Center on a space-available basis. Bright Horizons Family Solutions operates this full-day child-care program for children from the age of 6 weeks old  to 5 years old including a full day kindergarten . The Center is open from 7:30 a.m. through 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is located in the Dow Jones complex on Route 1 near Ridge Road.  T here are a limited number of openings in the Center. If you are interested in this opportunity, please call or email Sandy Alu, Director, Dow Jones Family Center (phone: 609-520-7501; email: ) for information about the Center’s program and costs. Sandy can also arrange a tour of the Center for you. You may also visit the center website at .

University Library

The services of the library are available to faculty and their family members upon presentation of a valid Princeton University identification card. Users must register at the circulation desk before borrowing for the first time. Their Web site is

Visa Services

The Office of Visa Services provides assistance with visas and other immigration matters. This office is located at the Davis International Center, 120 Alexander Street, 1st floor. Further information on the services provided by this office may be obtained by visiting or calling the office directly at (609) 258-1451 or email