Skip over navigation
Princeton University
Office of the Dean of the Faculty

Faculty Retiree Handbook

June 10, 2011

This document is intended as a reference guide to assist faculty members as they move from active working to retirement. It summarizes some of the more Princeton-specific benefits and privileges available in retirement.


You and your spouse, same-sex domestic or civil union partner will continue to have a University ID card. Validation stickers for your ID card must be picked up each year in October at the TigerCard Office located on the 3rd Floor of the New South building. Call the TigerCard Office at (609) 258-8300 for additional information or visit the TigerCard website In addition to serving as the Princeton University identification, the University ID card provides access to buildings, University libraries, athletic facilities, and PAW points.


Emeritus faculty members automatically retain their University computing privileges through their lifetime (not transferable to surviving spouse) when they are granted emeritus status. There will be no change to existing your email address upon becoming an emeritus faculty member. If you need any assistance you may contact the OIT Help Desk, by calling (609) 258-HELP (4357) or by e-mailing


If you should move, please notify the Office of the Dean of the Faculty in writing. When you write to us, please include your name, date of birth or social security number, old and new address and telephone number and e-mail information in your message or use the Personal Data & Self-Identification Form to submit changes to us.  You may also access the HR Self-Service website to sign into the PeopleSoft system if you need to change your home or mailing address. You must notify TIAA-CREF/Vanguard directly in writing of any address changes.


For information about health care, TIAA-CREF/Vanguard Retirement account information or retirement benefits, contact the providers listed below or the Princeton University Benefits office in Human Resources—Office Phone: (609) 258-3300; or
  Phone Number and/or E-mail contact


Medicare 1-800-772-1213; 
Princeton University Medicare Supplement Plan administered by Aetna Health
(Group #397432)
Prescription Drug Plan administered by Medco Health
(Group #PRINU00)
COBRA Benefits Group/Payflex 


Met-Life Retirement Dental Plan 1-800-438-6388


Retiree Vision Services Plan (VSP) 1-800-877-7195; 


Local Office 1-800-772-1213




Vanguard 1-800-523-1188;


(Access code is TW8AE)


Most University privileges continue into your retirement with no difference from when you were a full-time member of the faculty.
Princeton University Library Access
Your ID card will continue to provide access to University libraries and borrowing privileges.
Dillon Gym Membership
Through your University ID card, as a retired faculty member, you, your spouse, and your dependents retain the same access to the campus recreation programs that you enjoyed while you were an active faculty member. You pay the faculty/staff rate for gym membership and the faculty/staff rate for any instructional classes that you sign up for. For further information, go to, drop by the office of Campus recreation in Room 3, Dillon Gym, or call the Office of Campus Recreation at (609) 258-1567.
Prospect House
As a retired faculty member, your membership to Prospect House continues just as when you were on the faculty. You also continue to be able to book events at Prospect House. Contact Prospect House at (609) 258-3455 or
Mortgage Loan Program
This program is administered by University Mortgage Services in the Office of Finance and Treasury (609) 258-3123. If you currently hold a university mortgage, you may continue to hold that mortgage in your retirement as long as the property remains your primary residence. Since there is no monthly salary to deduct mortgage payments from, you will be direct-billed for monthly mortgage payments. If your spouse should survive you, your spouse can continue to hold the university mortgage as long as the mortgaged house is the primary residence of the surviving spouse. This benefit continues as long as the surviving spouse does not re-marry (the benefit terminates upon re-marriage). You are not eligible to apply for a new university mortgage in your retirement.
You remain eligible for a University parking permit. Call the Parking Office at (609) 258-3157 or visit for additional information. Historically, retirees have enjoyed parking permits in the lot they utilized as an active faculty member; however with campus planning and construction, you may be required to park in a different lot.
Princeton University Bulletin
The Princeton University Bulletin will continue to be mailed to you at your home address. If you do not wish to continue receiving this publication, please notify the Office of the Dean of the Faculty in writing or by e-mail to Please include your name, address, and date of birth. You can access the HR Self Service website by signing in to the PeopleSoft HR Self Service website if you need to change your home or mailing address or use the Personal Data & Self-Identification Form to submit address changes to us.
Children's Education Assistance Plan
Tuition Grant Program:
A child who is participating in the Tuition Grant program on your retirement date and meets the eligibility requirements will continue to receive the grant as long as they are continuously enrolled. The requirements to continue to receive benefits after your retirement are: (1) the child must be enrolled in an accredited college and receiving benefits before the retirement date, and (2) the child must continue their enrollment without a break (summers excepted). If the child stops out for a semester/quarter and breaks their enrollment, their eligibility will be forfeit. Continuing eligibility for benefits will terminate if the child no longer meets these eligibility criteria. A child who is not receiving this grant at the time of your retirement is not eligible for the grant after you retire.
Supplemental Loan Program:
You must continue to repay any existing Supplemental Loans. Please call the Loans and Receivables Department in the Office of Finance and Treasury at (609) 258-3069 to make arrangements for direct repayment.
Retirement Contributions (TIAA-CREF/Vanguard)
Retired faculty members who are reappointed to the faculty as a Lecturer with the rank of Professor or who are paid through their research appointment as a Senior Scholar or a Senior Research Scholar will receive contributions to their 401K retirement account based on the salary paid to them. In addition, these individuals may continue to contribute to their 403B account based on the salary paid them.
Retiree Carebridge Program:
Carebridge, the University’s employee assistance provider provides at no cost to the retiree a confidential retirement assistance program. Carebridge counselors respond to inquiries quickly and provide confidential assistance that can help you find solutions to a wide range of personal and family issues, such as:
  • Leisure and Travel Opportunities
  • Family/Marital Relationships
  • Caregiver Supports
  • Grandparenting
  • Retirement Activities
  • Retirement Wellness and Health Concerns
  • Long Term Care Concerns
  • Independent Living Helps
  • Caregiving Resources
  • Home Care
  • Long Term Planning and Finance
  • Legal Assistance
  • Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security
  • Guidance on Dementia, Alzheimer's, and Depression
  • Grief and Loss
  • Elder Housing Choices
Carebridge is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week by calling 1-800-437-0911. Over the telephone, your Carebridge counselor will provide consultations, referrals, and information to assist with the resolution of your life needs such as help with personal financial management or family/marital relationships.
Flu Shots and Other Immunizations
As a retiree, you continue to be eligible to receive flu shots at the Princeton Flu-Fest. Check with McCosh Heath Center about eligibility to receive other immunizations.
Community Auditing Program
The Community Auditing Program each term opens over 200 Princeton University courses to auditors. The enrollment period is usually the week preceding the first week of courses. You are eligible to sign up for courses offered through the Community Auditing Program on the first day of enrollment. As a member of the Princeton Community, if there are spaces available after the 3rd day of enrollment, you may sign up without cost. Please follow this link to find the schedule with dates for both in-person and on-line registration information and for further details: Should you have questions, call (609) 258-0202.


As a retired faculty member, you can continue as principal investigator on grants and contracts, you are eligible for appointment as a researcher, you continue to be eligible for Learned Society Travel and UCRH&SS grants, and you may continue to utilize your “2xxx” research accounts.
Appointment as a Researcher (for research active faculty)
Senior Scholar (by discipline):
Emeritus Princeton faculty members may be appointed as Senior Scholar (Scientist) if they serve as principal investigators on sponsored research projects and/or maintain active research programs at the University.
Senior Scholars (Scientists) normally have no specific responsibilities in teaching or research but are encouraged to participate in department, center and/or institute programs and to interact with faculty members, researchers, and students in informal settings. They ordinarily do not receive salaries from the University. However, on those occasions when a Senior Scholar (Scientist) is asked to provide a specific service to the University arrangements must be made in advance, through the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, to compensate him/her appropriately. Such compensation will normally be provided through a research project grant (when the service involves participation in a sponsored research project) or a part-time teaching appointment (see Rules & Procedures of the Faculty of Princeton University). Senior Scholars (by discipline) are not eligible for stipend payments from the University.
Appointments/reappointments to the rank of Senior Scholar (by discipline) are normally for renewable one year terms and are for 49% or less duty-time. The appointments of emeritus Princeton University faculty may be renewed annually by the Dean of the Faculty on the recommendation of the sponsoring department.
Senior Research Scholar:
Faculty members who can support more than 50% of their annual salary through grants and contracts can request that they be appointed to the research staff as a benefits-eligible Senior Research Scholar upon their retirement from the faculty. This is an active-employee appointment. When the duty-time worked drops below 50%, the individual ceases to be benefits eligible and would retire from the research staff and may move to a Senior Scholar appointment.
Learned Society Travel
You remain eligible for the Learned Society Travel program as an emeritus faculty member. To receive support, you must fulfill the same criteria as an active faculty member. Learned Society Travel benefits will provide reimbursement of transportation and hotel expenses, for conferences or learned society meetings (held within or outside the United States). To qualify for this support, you must be delivering a paper at a meeting, chairing a session, participating as an invited discussant in a session, or otherwise involved with the learned society as an officer.
University Committee on Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences (UCRH&SS)
All regular emeritus members of the faculty in the Humanities and the Social Sciences are eligible to request grants in support of their own scholarly research activity. Please refer to the Dean of the Faculty webpage for additional guidelines at Your Department Manager can provide assistance in applying for the grant and once you have received the grant in making the funds available for your use.
Research Funds--in “2xxx” accounts
If you have unexpended funds in your “2XXX” research account when you retire, the remaining amount will be rolled forward and you will be able to continue to utilize these funds in support of your research after your retirement. You can use these funds for the same purposes that you used them for when you were an active faculty member:
These funds are provided to assist you in your research and are intended to pay for research-related expenses such as the purchase of books and other research materials including databases and software, the employment of research assistants, payment of subventions, payment of translation expenses for research materials, research-related travel and other research-related expenditures.
You cannot utilize these funds to pay yourself salary or summer salary. Your department manager should be able to assist you with the paperwork to enable you to be reimbursed.


Emeritus Scholar Coffees
Occasional gatherings funded by the Dean of the Faculty and sponsored by the Emeritus Council of the University League. Contact Stuart Schwartz ( to be placed on the mailing list.


The Council is sponsored by the University League. The council members are predominantly retired faculty. It is open to anyone in the academic community interested in participating, and especially welcomes pre-retired faculty. You can contact Stuart Schwartz at or Pat Busacca at
The mission of the Emeritus Council is to enhance the relationship between Princeton University and its emeritus faculty--it is a forum to explore the dimensions of retirement in the academic community at Princeton. The Emeritus Council seeks ways to enrich the intellectual mission of the University and to maintain the social and cultural ties of the emeriti with the University community. The goals of the Council are:
  • to establish structures for cultivating recognition of the emeriti as a faculty group;
  • to keep emeritus faculty informed of the resources and facilities that are available from the University and the range of rights and privileges extended to emeriti;
  • to help develop opportunities for voluntary participation by emeriti in the educational programs of the University;
  • and to keep emeriti and family informed about availability of support in the Princeton town community for seniors and how they can contribute to the life of the senior community


Princeton Senior Resource Center
Should you wish to continue teaching, but in a different venue, opportunities abound. There are opportunities to offer courses through the Princeton Senior Resource Center. Contact (609) 924-7108, or e-mail
Petey Greene Prisoner Assistance Program
The Petey Greene Prisoner Assistance Program provides another opportunity to assist prison inmates by tutoring them or teaching. The program was founded in 2008 by Charlie Puttkamer ’58 and named in honor of the late Petey Greene who overcame drug addiction and a prison sentence for armed robbery to become one of Washington D.C.’s most prominent media personalities. The other two co-directors are Cornel West and Jim Ferrin ’58. The two prisons in the program are: (1) Albert C Wagner has 1,200 male prisoners 18-30 in low/medium/maximum security cells. About 95% are black, 35% illiterate, 25% somewhat literate. There is a full time coordinator who works inside the prison with Petey-Greene volunteers. The program also works with (2) Garden State Prison in Bordentown which has more education resources than Wagner and has less hard core prisoners. For more information this is the link to the website or e-mail Jim Farrin at
Prison Teaching Initiative
The Prison Teaching Initiative was started in 2005 by Science and Technology Council postdoctoral fellow Mark Krumholz ’98, postdoctoral fellow Jenny Greene, and Professor Jill Knapp, all members of the Department of Astrophysical Sciences. Jill Knapp and Jenny Greene from Astrophysical Sciences continue to administer the program in conjunction with the Pace Center, which has expanded its assistance to the program to include administrative support to the teaching program and workshops to bring together representatives of the N.J. Department of Corrections and educational institutions to improve and expand the educational programs available to inmates. Many of these prisoners do not have a high school diploma and this program provides opportunity for advancement. Please call Jill Knapp at 258-3824 or or contact the Pace Center