Skip over navigation
Princeton University
Office of the Dean of the Faculty

Summary of Compensation, Service, and Benefit Plans and Programs for Professional Researchers, Specialists, and Librarians

January 2015


Arrangements for Payment of Salary

Salaries for monthly employees are paid at the end of each month. Arrangements may be made with the Office of Finance and Treasury for automatic deposit of salary payments. Any questions about deductions or a change in deductions, including those for income tax, should be addressed to the Payroll Section, the Office of Finance and Treasury, 701 Carnegie Center, (609) 258-3082. For more information, see . For nonresident tax and withholding questions, email

Vacations, Holidays, and Sick Time

Professional Researchers, Specialists, and Librarians earn vacation at a rate of two work days for each month of service, resulting in 24 vacation days during each year of service. Up to 48 days may be accrued. Scheduling of vacation time is dependent on approval of the department chair, project leader, or supervisor, and is managed through the Human Resources self-service website.

Staff members who leave the service of the University and who have earned vacation which has not yet been taken will receive pay in lieu of vacation up to a maximum of 30 days unless they are supported on term funding. Individuals who leave without giving appropriate notice may forfeit this pay.

Official University holidays are announced prior to the beginning of the academic year. There are usually nine scheduled holidays. In addition, employees have two personal days that must be taken in the fiscal year in which they are allocated and cannot be carried over into the following fiscal year.  Since the Library does not close on all holidays, Library Staff members whose duties require them to be present on holidays may take compensatory time off.

The University provides employees with up to eight sick days per fiscal year. Sick days may be taken for personal illness, injury or accident or for the care of a sick or injured immediate family member or resident member of the household. Employees may roll over any portion of up to 8 unused sick days from the current fiscal year to the next fiscal year, up to a combined maximum of 16 days. Unused sick days are not compensated for upon termination of an employee. Sick days are managed through the Human Resources self-service website.

Reimbursement for Moving and Relocation Expenses

In some departments, Professional Researchers and members of the Professional Specialist ranks may be provided with a contribution toward moving and relocation expenses when first employed in accordance with policies approved by the Dean of the Faculty and acceptable to the outside sponsor of the research involved.

Leaves for Research and Scholarship

Under certain circumstances Professional Researchers and the University mutually benefit from research staff members' being relieved of regular research responsibilities--for example, to enable them to pursue new or unusual projects or to bring together the accomplishments of several related programs. Such activities should normally be funded from grants, contracts, or fellowships. In instances where external funding is not available, the appointing department may choose to fund a leave at full salary for up to six months or at half salary for up to 12 months for members of the research staff. All leaves for research and scholarship must be approved by the Dean of the Faculty.

Benefits Coverage during Leaves of Absence 
The University is not permitted by the Internal Revenue Service to contribute to a staff member's retirement plan account during a leave of absence without pay. However, coverage in most other benefits plans continues during the months a staff member is on leave with or without pay. When a staff member is on leave without pay, he or she will be billed for the cost of benefits that are normally deducted from salary.

For more specific information, contact the Benefits Team in the Office of Human Resources at (609) 258-3302 or

Outside Professional Activities

The general propriety of outside professional activities by Professional Researchers, Specialists, and Librarians is permitted for up to two days per month, subject to the responsibility for timely and successful completion of the contract with which the individual is involved and the fulfillment of his/her other University responsibilities. For more specific information, see Section VII.C. of the Rules and Procedures of the Professional Researchers and Specialists of Princeton University or Section IV.C.3. of the Rules and Procedures of the Professional Library Staff of Princeton University.


Members of the Academic Professional Staffs whose duty time is 50 percent or greater for appointments of five months or more, paid directly by the University, are normally eligible for benefits. Benefit plans are administered through the Benefits Team in the Office of Human Resources. Any inquiries on details of the benefit plans should be addressed to the Office of Human Resources, 2 New South Building, (609) 258-3302 or More detailed information may be found on the Benefits Web site at

Benefits Plans for Visitors

Normally, visiting researchers and specialists and visiting fellows who are paid by Princeton University and whose appointments are 50% or greater duty time for five months or more are eligible to receive or purchase a simplified University employee benefits package. For detailed information, contact the Benefits Team in the Office of Human Resources.


Rental Housing

The rental housing program is administered by our Housing and Real Estate Services , 5 New South Building. Anyone wishing further information should contact the Housing Office at (609) 258-3125. The supply of University housing is very limited. Most employees live off-campus. For housing resources near the University campus, see

Mortgage Loan Program

The University also has a mortgage loan program to assist staff members who qualify in locating near the University. Through this program, Princeton offers mortgage financing, under policies and procedures established by the Board of Trustees, at advantageous rates and terms to eligible staff members for the purchase of homes within a nine-mile radius of the University.

This program is administered by our University Mortgages Services , 7 New South Building. Anyone considering applying for a mortgage loan should contact the UMS office at (609) 258-3123.


Athletic Facilities

Many of the major athletic facilities of the University are available to staff members and their families at specified times throughout the week for a fee. Detailed information about the purchase of permits, fees, and regulations covering the use of facilities may be obtained through

Computer Facilities

All members of the University community are assigned a unique network identifier. This netID enables you to log on to the Princeton network and access networked resources such as e-mail, campus servers, the Internet, and printers.  

Members of the University community are required to adhere to policies for safe and responsible computing at Princeton. Read the policies at
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) offers a variety of in-office computing support services, including hardware and software installation and troubleshooting, telephone, and mobile technology services.  See detailed services and support available from OIT at

Credit Union

Princeton University Federal Credit Union (PUFCU) is a full service institution that has served the financial needs of the faculty and staff of Princeton University since 1972.  For more information about PUFCU, see or call 609.945.6200.

Cultural Opportunities

Notices of public lectures, concerts, dramatic performances, and exhibitions are listed in the Princeton Weekly Bulletin. You may sign up for their e-Newsletters at or visit the event page of the University Website for upcoming events on campus at

McCosh Health Center

The Employee Health Services, a unit of Princeton University Health Services in McCosh Health Center, is available to all full-time and part-time staff for work-related matters. For the list of services provided, visit or call (609) 258-5035.

Transportation and Parking

Princeton University’s TigerTransit transportation system operates on a fixed route schedule throughout the Princeton campus and surrounding community. Riders are able to track the location of any TigerTransit bus on any route online through TigerTracker. For more transportation resources, including the TigerTransit route map and timetables, see

Parking is available through the University Parking Plan. Staff members are assigned a parking permit for an assigned numbered lot, not a specific space, and may apply for a decal in the TigerCard/Parking Office in the New South Building, A Level. Vehicles parked in campus lots must display a current decal. Detailed parking and traffic regulations are available at

Prospect Association

The Prospect Association operates Prospect House which provides facilities for dining and meetings for faculty and staff members, their families, and guests. Lunch services are available Monday through Friday, and special dinners are served on dates announced during the year. Several private rooms and lounges are available for meetings and private lunches, dinners, and receptions. For reservations or more information, call (609) 258-3087


All staff members are issued a TigerCard which establishes your University affiliation and serves as a photo ID card that certifies their University affiliation for purposes of general identification. The TigerCard provides access to a variety of University facilities--such as the Library, athletics facilities (access requires the purchase of a gym pass), McCosh Health Center, the Housing Office, and the Frist Campus Center Ticket Office. In addition, the TigerCard may also be used as a debit card to buy food or photocopying services and to gain admittance to those campus buildings which are electronically secured.

Identification cards are also available to spouses, domestic partners, and dependents under the age of 25, who must show them in order to use University facilities. (An application and additional documents are required. Call the TigerCard Office, 609-258-5436, for additional information.)

University Community Childcare and Nursery School Resources

Information about childcare resources in and around the Princeton area can be found at

University Library

The services of the library are available to employees and their family members upon presentation of a valid Princeton University identification card. Users must register at the circulation desk before borrowing for the first time. For more information, visit

Visa Services

The Davis International Center provides visa and immigration support for international students, faculty, and scholars. See for more information.