Students must notify the Graduate Administrator in 004 Fisher Hall at least 3 weeks before the chosen defense date with the names of their advisor; two readers; the name of the fourth faculty non-reader who will attend the defense (two non-readers in the event that one of the readers cannot attend); and the date and time they plan to defend.
To be submitted by students 2 weeks before defense date:
Most forms are available on the Graduate School website under "forms" (at the top of the page); follow the link for "academic forms."
- Advanced Degree Application (to be submitted online 2 weeks before defense date) - complete in SCORE
- PDF final version of the dissertation (send to Graduate Administrator)
- Title Page
- Prior publication and presentation form, signed by advisor
- Letter(s) from co-author(s) (if applicable)
Upon approval of the FPO by the Graduate School, the student should prepare the following paperwork to be submitted on the day of the defense:
- ProQuest (UMI) online dissertation agreement form (save confirmation page, pay applicable copyright and/or publication fees)
- Survey of Earned Doctorates (save confirmation page)
- Check for $15 made out to Princeton University Library
- Graduate School Exit Questionnaire (save confirmation page)
- ONE bound copy of the dissertation, formatted according to Mudd Library guidelines (see note below)
- JEL Codes Form for Graduate Administrator (For a list of JEL codes, visit http://www.aeaweb.org/journal/elclasjn.html)
Follow Mudd Library’s formatting requirements exactly. If you do not, your dissertation will not be accepted by Mudd Library and you will not be awarded your degree. Use 12 pt font for text & footnotes, correct margins, acid free paper.
We recommend Smith & Shattuck Bookbinding located at 759 State Road, Princeton. 609-497-1445.
To be submitted by faculty:
Paperwork signed by faculty and assembled by Graduate Administrator:
- Reader’s Report (essay by main advisor, signed by committee)
- Prior publication and presentation form, initiated by student and signed by advisor
- Reader’s Report form (one signed by each dissertation committee member)
- Final Public Oral Examination Report, two copies including the original signed by advisor after the defense