Whig Hall Renovation (Completed 2009)
Whig Hall, along with Clio Hall, were designed in 1895 by A. Page Brown as a pair of identical debate clubs. This rich historical legacy continues today as the American Whig-Cliosophic Society, now housed exclusively in Whig Hall. The classical Greek Ionic structures were replacements for similar but smaller buildings originally sited in their current locations. They served the university well until 1969 when fire completely gutted the interior of Whig Hall. It was rebuilt in 1971 and has undergone no renovations of significance in nearly 40 years.
Opportunities to incorporate additional maintenance, firecode and accessibility improvements were considered in a project study undertaken by the consulting architects. These include bathroom improvements, roofing and envelope repairs, finishes upgrades, sprinkler installation, egress path improvements, new card access and new fire alarm systems, lighting upgrades, accessible bathroom facilities, improved accessibility to interior spaces and properly sized mechanical rooms with adequate clearances for maintenance. All aspects of the work require the building to be off-line and benefit from the economies of scale when combined into a single project.
Improvements to the efficiency and controllability of the building’s HVAC and lighting systems will be incorporated into the project, taking full advantage of Facilities platform-based, computer-controlled energy management systems. Although most current light fixture locations will remain, they will be transitioned into energy-efficient fluorescent lamps with improved light distribution characteristics. Energy saving local hot water generation will also be included.
Progress as of June 12, 2009. (Not a live view.) Please see the photo gallery for past progress frames.
Renderings and construction photos are located in the photo gallery. Please note that renderings and artists' conceptions are presented here for historical purposes only. The final designs of these projects may have evolved since these renderings were created.
|Consulting Architect||Farewell Mills & Gatsch|
|Project Manager||Dave Howell|