Routine Water Distribution System Flushing in the Princeton area, between April 22 - 26
New Jersey American Water (NJAW) has indicated that it will perform routine flushing of the water distribution system in our area between Monday, April 22nd and Friday, April 26th from 8:30am to 4:30pm. When crews are working in your area, you may notice a temporary drop in water pressure or discolored water. This is normal. If this happens, simply let your water run until it is clear.
NJAW offers these additional customer tips:
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clear. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.
Further information regarding the maintenance work can be found here: http://www.amwater.com/alerts/alert11012.html.