Revised Lock Out Policy for Residents of University Properties
The departments of Housing and Real Estate Services and Public Safety announce a new lock out re-entry policy for residents of University properties. This policy applies to undergraduate and graduate students living in dormitories and graduate annexes as well as graduate students, faculty and staff residing in University rental properties. The policy and the fee schedule associated with it is effective in the academic year beginning September 2011.
The details of this policy are highlighted here:
- The new policy applies to all residents of University owned properties, including students living in dormitories.
- When residents are locked out during regular business hours they may borrow a key from the Housing and Real Estate Services office. All borrowed keys must be returned to the office within 24 hours.
- Residents may contact Public Safety for re-entry service after hours and on weekends. (see fee schedule below)
- Residents may contact Public Safety directly when unable to come to the Housing and Real Estate Services offices during regular business hours. (see fee schedule below)
- A PUID (TigerCard) must be presented when borrowing a key from the Housing and Real Estate Services offices or when receiving lock out re-entry service from Public Safety.
- Mandatory lock changes will be performed by the University lock shop whenever borrowed keys are not returned within two weeks.
- A fee schedule is in place which includes non-compliance fees, Public Safety re-entry and lock change fees as well as additional fees for repeated lock outs.
- After the third lock out and each lock out thereafter students will be recommended to the dean for further action.
- A grace period without fees or tabulations is in place from August 15 to September 30 and during all scheduled fire drills.
The new lock out policy includes resident service fees as well as additional fees associated with compliance issues:
- Resident borrows room key from the Housing and Real Estate Services office- no fee (first three requests).
- Resident fails to return borrowed key within 24 hours- $75.00 non-compliance fee.
- Resident fails to return borrowed key within two week period- $75.00 lock change fee.
- Public Safety Provides Lock Out Re-Entry Service- $30.00 each unlock.
- Resident repeatedly borrows key - Additional $ 30.00 fee charged after the third borrowed key and every time thereafter.
Questions about this policy may be directed to the department of Housing and Real Estate Services. The department of Housing and Real Estate Services is located on the 5th floor of New South Building. New South is located between Princeton Station (the Dinky) and Whitman College. (Locate New South on this campus map.)