The Facilities Organization performs important engineering services for the Princeton University campus.
Civil/Structural Engineering Services
- Planning for campus storm and sanitary systems.
- Minor structural analysis of campus buildings.
- Construction services for the building of new roads, walkways and courtyards.
- Construction services for the installation or relocation of underground utilities.
- Construction services for storm water detention basins.
- Rigging for moving heavy objects (such as lab equipment).
- Assist the Grounds and Building Maintenance Department when excavation is needed.
Electrical Engineering Services
- Analyze existing circuitry in University buildings to determine capacity for new equipment.
- Monitor circuits for power quality issues.
- Survey campus lighting to determine if design standards are met.
- Recommend appropriate lighting fixtures specific to task.
- Install occupancy sensors and dimming controls.
- Survey access control systems and provide design services.
- Prepare specifications and drawings for new or modified power distribution, lighting, access control and fire alarm systems.
- Retrofit energy saving lighting on campus.
- Provide information and demonstrate campus trunking radio system equipment.
Environmental Engineering Services
- Assess the potential impact of proposed projects on the environment.
- Ensure compliance with USEPA, NJDEP and local regulations which impact the campus.
- Provide assistance in projects involving asbestos abatement, radon mitigation, and sewer disposal issues.
- Address air compliance concerns with the assistance of the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
Mechanical Engineering Services
- Ensure efficient, functional heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire protection, plumbing, and laboratory utilities systems.
- Design and /or manage mechanical projects such as HVAC equipment replacement.
- Provide design services for small renovations.
- Troubleshoot and investigate significant HVAC problems.
Who Provides This Service
The Engineering Department provides civil/structural, environmental, and mechanical engineering services for the Princeton University campus.