Event Support Services
Electrical Needs for Your Event
Requesting An Electrician
Our experts in Facilities will work with you to make sure appropriate electricity is ready for your event.
Check Electrical in additional services when you submit an Event Support Request to let us know you will need electrical help and we will contact you.
When would you need electrical help?
An electrician will be needed for your event in the following situations:
- The D.J., band, or performer at your event requires electricity to support the performance in an area where there is no electricity or where the electrical service is not sufficient.
- Vendor(s) at your event will be serving or preparing food or providing entertainment in an area without outlets where electricity is required. Examples might be electricity needed for beverage dispensing equipment, rides or games, popcorn, cotton candy, or snow cone machines.
- A University caterer will be serving or preparing food in an area without outlets. Examples might be food preparation/warming areas, or beverage dispensing equipment.
- Outside lighting is needed in an area where there is none or the existing lighting is insufficient. An example might be twinkle lights, or some other special lighting.
- A lit exit sign is required where there is none. An example might be a lit exit sign inside a tent containing sides, as required by State Law.
- Lighting is needed in the tent you have rented.
- Heaters will be used inside a tent you have rented and the electrical service is needed to run the heater. Note that the cost of the heater (provided by the tent company) is separate from the cost of providing electrical service.
Before we contact you, it would be helpful for you to consider the following questions:
- What is the location within the event site where electric is needed?
- What is the intended use of the equipment for which electric service is needed?
- How will the equipment needing electric service be delivered to the site?
- Who is providing the equipment?
- How much power is required? How many circuits are needed? Note: If power is needed for a band or other performer, their contract will usually specify these electric requirements.
- Can you provide a copy of the performer's contract (if applicable)?
- Does the equipment require any special plugs or connections?
- Does your caterer have any special needs? Is there a contract specifying these needs?
- Can you provide a copy of the caterers contract (if applicable)?
Fee For Services
Electrician services are based on our labor rates.
Standby service during normal business hours, weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., is provided at no charge. Standby service after business hours will incur a fee.
- Any time electric service is provided an electrician is required to be present.
- We are mandated to be present at least one half hour before the event begins, remain present throughout the entire event, and stay one half hour after the event is over.
- If a band or entertainer requiring electricity will be performing at your event, the electrician must also be present when set up begins.
- You will be charged the hourly rate for one electrician for all events held after normal business hours.
We will contact you after receiving your Event Support Request to discuss your needs and schedule the work. If you have immediate concerns, you may contact the following Event Support service experts: