Event Support Services
Electrical Needs for Your Event
The information contained here articulates the circumstances in which the services of an electrician are needed for a campus event, the method to use when requesting these services, as well as the fees involved.
An electrician will be needed for your event in the following situation:
- The D.J., band, or performer at your event requires electricity to support the performance in an area where there is no electricity or where the electrical service is not sufficient.
- Vendor(s) at your event will be serving or preparing food or providing entertainment in an area without outlets where electricity is required. Examples might be electricity needed for beverage dispensing equipment, rides or games, popcorn, cotton candy, or snow cone machines.
- A University caterer will be serving or preparing food in an area without outlets. Examples might be food preparation/warming areas, or beverage dispensing equipment.
- Outside lighting is needed in an area where there is none or the existing lighting is insufficient. An example might be twinkle lights, or some other special lighting.
- A lit exit sign is required where there is none. An example might be a lit exit sign inside a tent containing sides, as required by State Law.
- Lighting is needed in the tent you have rented.
- Heaters will be used inside a tent you have rented and the electrical service is needed to run the heater. Note that the cost of the heater (provided by the tent company) is separate from the cost of providing electrical service.
- Standby service of an electrician is required at your event. Note, any time electric service is provided an electrician is required to be present. They are mandated to be present at least one half hour before the event begins, remain present throughout the entire event, and stay one half hour after the event is over. If a band or entertainer requiring electric will be performing at your event an electrician must be present when set up begins and be present for the event as described here. You will be charged the hourly rate for one electrician for all events held after normal business hours. (see Fees for Service).
Note: If standby service is needed during normal business hours, defined as weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., there is no charge.
Requesting An Electrician
Because of the technical nature of electrician services you are asked to contact our experts in Grounds and Building Maintenance who will work with you to make sure you receive the appropriate service for your event. They will in turn place the work order request for you.
Before You Call
Before contacting Grounds and Building Maintenance staff, consider these questions to guide you in your communications with our staff.
- What is the location within the event site where electric is needed?
- What is the intended use of the equipment for which electric service is needed?
- How will the equipment needing electric service be delivered to the site?
- Who is providing the equipment?
- How much power is required? How many circuits are needed? Note: If power is needed for a band or other performer, their contract will usually specify these electric requirements.
- Can you provide a copy of the performer's contract (if applicable)?
- Does the equipment require any special plugs or connections?
- Does your caterer have any special needs? Is there a contract specifying these needs?
- Can you provide a copy of the caterers contract (if applicable)?
Who To Contact
Either individual will discuss your needs and place your work request for you.
- Charlie Krank, Assistant Director, Grounds and Building Maintenance.
- Ken Grayson, Foreman, Electric Shop
Telephone: (609) 258-3991
Fee For Services
Electrician services are charged at the rates listed here.