Sample Roommate Agreement:
As we complete the agreement below, we approach it in good faith and with open minds, as a clean slate and a fresh start, putting behind any past efforts we have made that have not been successful, and giving all involved parties the benefit of the doubt. With this in mind, we are committed to the common goal of improving our living situation, and make life in the room civil, safe, and as pleasant as possible for the rest of our time together.
1. Problems: What are the specific problems that we intend this agreement to address?
2. Outcome: What would constitute a successful outcome? What do we hope to accomplish? What?s at stake for us?
3. Changes: What specific behaviors or changes do we agree on, in order to address these problems and achieve the outcome we want?
4. Challenges: Knowing ourselves, what are the challenges we will face in abiding by this agreement (e.g., excuses or circumstances that could undermine this agreement, personal styles that might lead us to neglect this responsibility, etc.)? How will we anticipate and respond to these challenges?
5. Review: How will we review this agreement in order to determine that it is working to our satisfaction? What is our timetable for evaluating the agreement and making modifications if necessary?
6. Support: What sources of support will we seek out to help us abide by this agreement or overcome challenges or lapses?
My signature below represents my promise in good faith to uphold the spirit and letter of the agreement described here. I understand the resources and the supports available to me to help me in this effort, and I will call on them as I need to. I give my word that I enter this agreement voluntarily and that I will abide by it.
Facilitated by (RCA): _____________________________________________