101. McCosh Hall


McCosh Hall was built and named in memory of Princeton President James McCosh, under whose visionary tenure the College experienced great curricular and physical growth. Upon its competition in 1906, McCosh Hall was the largest building on campus, containing 4 large lecture halls, 14 medium-sized recitation halls, and 26 smaller rooms designed to accommodate the preceptorial system introduced by Woodrow Wilson just one year earlier.   The Tudor Gothic structure extended for 100 feet along Washington Road and 400 feet along the campus pathway known as McCosh Walk, upon which the former president had taken daily promenades in his derby hat and cane.  McCosh 50, shown here, remains the largest lecture hall on campus, seating 481 students and housing such perennially popular courses as Introduction to Micro and Macro Economics and Professor James McPherson’s History of the American Civil War and Reconstruction—each of which break into many precepts.  In 1987, McCosh 50 was renamed Helm Auditorium after Harold Helm ’20, a legendary fundraiser who was the founding chairman of the Annual Giving campaign in 1940, chairman of the Alumni Council from 1940 to 1945, and a University trustee from 1947 to 1985.