124. Princeton Student Center Evolution


Here, Spencer Merriweather ’00 is studying and snacking at the former student center in Chancellor Green and East Pyne Hall.  This lovely but small facility served Princeton undergraduates for over forty years until the opening of the Frist Campus Center.  Chancellor Green was constructed as the College’s library in 1873, but within 15 years, the much larger Pyne was erected for this purpose and the attached Chancellor Green became a reading room.  When Firestone Library was opened in 1947, Chancellor Green and part of East Pyne became a student center, featuring a cafeteria, coffeehouse, game room, and, for a brief period, a pub.  With the launch of the Frist Campus Center, these buildings were renovated again, becoming part of the Andlinger Center for the Humanities in the fall of 2003.