35. “Air Cushion” Vehicle

 

This experimental “air cushion” vehicle was demonstrated during an exhibition at Princeton’s Forrestal Research Center in 1959.  The Forrestal Campus was established in 1951 as a major University facility for research and instruction located on an 825-acre tract three miles from the central campus.  Named for the first U.S. Secretary of Defense James Forrestal ’15, this center conducts research activities in aerospace, mechanical and nuclear sciences and is largely funded by the U.S. government.  Over the years, Forrestal has been home to such notable projects as Project Matterhorn (now called the Plasma Physics Laboratory), the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, and the Princeton-Penn Accelerator.

  • To learn more about the Forrestal Research Center, see quotation #27 and Café Vivian picture #114, 122, and 131.

  • To learn more about the history of science at Princeton, see icon #2, 5, 6, and 7, quotation #9, 27, 34, and 39, and Café Vivian picture #14, 15, 22, 25, 32, 41, 43, 51, 64, 75, 78, 83, 87, 90, 114, and 131.

  • To learn more about Princetonians in national service, see quotation #3, 8, 11, 17, 19, 20, 21, 25, 33, and 41, and Café Vivian picture #5, 15, 41, 42, 74, 107, 110, and 119.

CLOSE