40. Scrapbook Leaves


These leaves were pressed into the scrapbook of Charles Byron Bostwick ’1896.  Reunion Hall, a dormitory constructed in 1870, was located between West College and Stanhope Halls until condemned as a fire hazard and razed in 1965.  The “Bulletin Elm,” which stood southeast of Nassau Hall between East College and the old Chapel, played an important role in Princeton student life since its planting during the Witherspoon presidency by Samuel Stanhope Smith ’1769 (who later became Princeton’s seventh president and first alumnus to hold this position). The trunk of the tree was constantly covered by broadsides and posters, serving as the central source for campus information for a century.  The Bulletin Elm, East College and the old Chapel were all removed by 1896 to make way for the Pyne Library.