54. Lake Carnegie


“Loch” Carnegie was created in 1906 through the excavation of the marshy area between Princeton and Kingston along the course of the Millstone River and Stony Brook, and with the construction of a dam in Kingston to compound the confluence of these two waterways into a 3.5-mile-long, 800-foot-wide lake.  Princeton classmates and brothers Howard Russell Butler and William Allen Butler ’1876 persuaded steel manufacturer Andrew Carnegie, who had fond memories of the lochs in his native Scotland, to finance the project so that undergraduates would have a better place to engage in aquatic sports than the old Delaware & Raritan Canal.  The student body rejoiced at the news, and the acquisition of hundreds of acres of land associated with this gift has since provided the University with important maneuvering room for development.  Nonetheless, Princeton President Woodrow Wilson ’1879, who had unsuccessfully pressed for a gift in support of an academic program, later commented to Carnegie, “We needed bread and you gave us cake.”  In this picture, four men from the class of 1932 celebrate a reunion with a brief ride around the lake.