87. School of Engineering


Princeton’s School of Engineering was officially formed in 1921, but classes in engineering were taught as early as 1875, when Charles McMillan became the College’s first engineering professor.  He is shown here with students in an 1892 class.  Another nineteenth century professor, physics instructor Cyrus Fogg Brackett, conducted a course in electrical engineering as early as 1889.  The School of Engineering obtained its own home in the John C. Green Engineering Building (now known as Green Hall) in 1928, after the old Green School of Science burned to the ground earlier that year.  In 1962, the school was moved to the new Engineering Quadrangle, built on the grounds of the former University Field, and renamed the School of Engineering and Applied Science.  Today, courses of study include chemical, electrical, mechanical and aerospace, civil and environmental, computer science, and operations research and financial engineering.