7. 1746-2000


Photo by Dino Palomares

From 1746 to September 2000 (when the Frist Campus Center opened), Princetonians bemoaned the lack of a truly central, communal and multifaceted space for campus life activities. During and after World War II, Murray-Dodge Hall had served as a USO for undergraduate trainees and veterans. In 1954, sections of East Pyne and Chancellor Green—the former library and its reference room—were converted into a small social center and cafeteria. Now, the Princeton community makes constant use of Frist—a six-level, 185,000-square-foot, $48 million facility that includes a food gallery, study and recreational lounges, computer clusters, classrooms, a film and performance theater, a library, offices for students, faculty and administrators, and much more. The campus center was designed by Robert Venturi ’47 *50 and named for the Frist family, including Tennessee Senator, Senate Majority Leader, and University charter trustee William Frist ’74, who donated $25 million to the University for this project.