In the News
- Fung Global Fellows Program Director Michael Gordin, Faculty Fellow Miguel Centeno and PIIRS Director Mark Beissinger named to endowed professorships, April 2013.
- Princeton University's first Fung-Global Forum takes place in Shanghai, January 2013.
- David Bellos' 2011 book about translation, Is That A Fish in Your Ear?, appeared in a revised paperback edition in the United States and also in Spanish translation as Un Pez en la higuera. Una historia fabulosa de la traducción (October 2012). His translation of a long-forgotten novel about the Algerian War, La Permission by Daniel Anselme, is to be published with Farrar Straus Giroux and Penguin Books in 2013.
- Michael Gordin’s most recent book, The Pseudoscience Wars: Immanuel Velikovsky and the Birth of the Modern Fringe, was published by the University of Chicago Press in September 2012. Read the article in Princeton Alumni Weekly.
- Miguel Centeno’s “Mapping Globalization” project went live in 2012. Amongst his forthcoming publications are Republics of the Possible: Liberalism and the Nation State in Iberoamerica (with Agustin Ferraro), Cambridge University Press, and “Latin America,” Concise Encyclopedia of Comparative Sociology, Jack Goldstone, ed., Brill Publishers, both 2013.
- Classicist Constanze Guthenke and her colleague Brooke Holmes, also Princeton, were awarded a Global Collaborative Network Grant, on Postclassicisms, starting fall of 2012.
- Benjamin Elman, with his colleague in the Departments of History and East Asian Studies, Sue Naquin, recently completed a three-year research cluster on “East Asia and the Early Modern World—Fresh Perspectives on Intellectual History, 1550-1800” (2009-12), sponsored by PIIRS. Elman’s group focused on doctors, classical languages, and medical philology in early modern Japan, Korea, and China.
- Interview with Faculty Fellow Wendy Laura Belcher regarding her research on ancient Ethiopian texts, August 2012
- Major gift from trustee William Fung to enhance Princeton’s globalization efforts, June 2012