Machine Shop and Lapidary Lab
Contact: George Rose 258-4125 Room B81
- Normal working hours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- Appointments to discuss projects should be arranged by email or phone. "Walk-ins" are not preferred.
- The first hour of a consultation is not charged.
- All work must include an account number.
- Design time, ordering parts and equipment, and any time related to the work order including machining time is charged at the prevailing shop hourly rate.
- Geoscience department work projects are done on a first come, first serve basis and are usually given priority over other departments and outside work. Urgent projects are shown special consideration.
- Maximum lead time on a project is greatly appreciated.
- Rules and Regulations for the Geosciences Department Shared Lapidary Lab Room B77
- Lab Safety Training is mandatory
- Wearing of Safety Equipment: Eye protection (glasses, goggles or face shield) Hearing protection (ear plugs or earmuffs). Safety items are supplied in the lab. The wearing of jewelry is not recommended. Safety shoes are recommended and can be purchased at a discount through the University.
- Access to the Lab: Keys are issued only after safety training is completed and are not to be loaned to other non-approved individuals.
- Correct use of the equipment is the responsibility of the user with guidance from his or her Professor or experienced personnel.
- Equipment such as lapping grits, saw blades, core drills, etc. are the responsibility of the individual user and shall be purchased through their account number.
- Housekeeping: Floors are the responsibility of the janitorial staff and should be swept daily and mopped once a week. When projects are completed it becomes the users responsibility to clean their work areas and machinery for the next user. Janitors are not required or responsible for cleaning the equipment.
- Damaged equipment should be reported immediately to the Facilities Manager: non-working equipment, clogged drains, water leaks, electrical problems, etc. should be brought to the attention of the Facilities or Department Manager.
- When closing the lab, make sure all power and water for operating equipment is turned off. Unplug the wet saw. Turn off lighting and lock the door.