Senior Thesis Research
Every GHP student completes a senior thesis in her/his home department that relates to global health and/or health policy.
GHP Senior Thesis Prize
2014 Senior Thesis Prize Co-Recipients
Zucker’s thesis is entitled Visions of Health and Care in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Download the full thesis (~1.65MB).
- Sally Butler, English: "The Puzzle Takes Over": Perceiving Disease in All Its Complexity
- Seth Forsgren, Molecular Biology: The Variola Virus: The Threat of Reintroduction and Our Capacity to Respond
- Prihatha Narasimmaraj, Woodrow Wilson School: "There Is No Other Food Besides the Breast": Challenges of Infant and Young Child Feeding in Rural Sierra Leone
- Storm Portner, Anthropology: Imagining Partnerships: An Ethnography of Community Health Workers in a Global Health Intervention in Sierra Leone
2013 Senior Thesis Prize Co-Recipients
- Wynne Callon (Woodrow Wilson School): Diabetes and China’s Modernization: A Three-City Study of the Perspectives of Patients, Providers and Policymakers
- Dora Huang (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology): Associations between typhoid mortality and municipal finances of water and sewerage systems in eighteen urban centers in the United States, 1888-1932
2012 Senior Thesis Prize Co-Recipients
The 2012 Global Health and Health Policy Senior Thesis Prize co-recipients are Allison Daminger (Anthropology) and Joseph Anaya (Chemistry).
Daminger's thesis is entitled Known, Un‐known: An Ethnography of AIDS Care and Treatment Adherence in Guatemala. Download the full thesis (~298KB).
Anaya's thesis is entitled Design, Synthesis, and Biological Characterization of Novel Nucleoside Analogs Targeting Dengue Virus and Their Serendipitous Activity Against HCV. Its publication is on hold pending patent filing.
- Christine Blauvelt (Anthropology): Economies of Survival: When Global AIDS Interventions Meet Local Communities in Kenya
- Annette Dekker (Woodrow Wilson School): “What is Killing Me Most” - Chronic Pain and the Need for Palliative Care in a Rural Community in the Eastern Cape of South Africa
- Caroline Pinke (Anthropology): An Ethnography of Care: Reclaiming Dignity for Boston’s Chronically Homeless
- Nisha Rao (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology): Simplifying Surveillance Efforts: Modeling Causes of Heterogeneity in Dengue Fever Risk
For a full listing of the GHP class of 2012 senior thesis titles and abstracts, click here.
2011 Senior Thesis Prize Co-Recipients
The 2011 Global Health and Health Policy Senior Thesis Prize co-recipients are Alana D'Alfonso (Psychology) and Alyse Wheelock (Anthropology).
D’Alfonso's thesis is entitled Seeing the Meaning: Higher-Order Neuroplastic Changes in the Time Scale of Processing within Early Visual Areas in the Congenitally Blind. Download the full thesis (~4MB).
Wheelock's thesis is entitled Maps of Rural Health: An Ethnography of Access to Care in Peru. Download the full thesis (~147MB).
The following theses received honorable mention:
- Joshua Oppenheimer (Woodrow Wilson School): A Mexican Model for Insuring The Poor?
- Alex Rosen (Economics): Hospital Ownership: An Empirical Study of Its Effect on the Quality and Cost of Medical Care in the United States
- Sarimer Sanchez (History): Medicalizing Birth Control: The enovid Clinical Trials in Puerto Rico (1956-1960)
- John Torrey (Religion): Power Consecrated an Ethnographic Critique of Donor Engagement with Churches and Mosques on Aids in Tanzania
For a full listing of the GHP class of 2011 senior thesis titles and abstracts, click here.
2010 GHP Senior Thesis Prize co-Recipients
The 2010 Global Health and Health Policy Senior Thesis Prize co-recipients are Alex Gertner (Anthropology) and Alexa Glencer (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology).
Gertner's thesis is entitled Pharmaceutical Care, Public Experiments, and Patient Knowledge in the Brazilian Public Healthcare System. Download the full thesis (~573KB).
Glencer's thesis is entitled Health Impact Assessment in Alaska: General Guidance, Project Application, and Sustainable Mitigation. Download the full thesis (~59MB).
For a full listing of the GHP class of 2010 senior thesis titles and abstracts, click here.