Sponsoring a Conference on Campus
Student organizations sponsor a wide variety of events. The following guidelines are used to determine whether a student organization may sponsor an event with non-University participants:
- Population Served - An event which brings in non-University participants should have other college students as the primary population being served.
- Organizing Group - The student organization should be the primary organizer of the entire event.
- Funding - Primary funding for an event should come from the organization or within the University.
- Outside Organizations - Any outside organizations involved with the event should be tax exempt.
- Profit - Any profit generated by the event should remain with the student organization unless specific arrangements have been made for a charitable contribution to be made to an outside organization.
Note that the sponsoring student organization bears full responsibility for the conduct of the outside organization(s).
Student organizations which are sponsoring conferences and meetings where the majority of participants are from other schools must comply with the following regulations:
- If the conference is held over a series of days, the conference organizers must designate an individual (or individuals) to be on call throughout the entire event. These persons are responsible for knowing the location of all conference participants (where they are staying on campus, and what parts of the program they are participating in, if possible). These individuals must register with the Office of Graduate Student Life, so that in the event of an emergency, there are central contact persons from the sponsoring group.
- A detailed list of all campus facilities utilized must be filed with the Office of Graduate Student Life and the Department of Public Safety. This should be a list compiled of all the Events Registration Forms the group has submitted for the event.
- Social events are often an important part of such conferences. Alcohol may be served only when the majority of the conference participants are over 21. All Graduate School guidelines for serving alcohol must be adhered to. Alcohol may not be served at any conference event where non-Princeton students predominate.