Chief Research Associate Position at the National Alliance of Research Associates Programs (NARAP)
Line Research Associates (RAs) are college students considering a career in the health professions who do one 4-hour shift per week in the emergency department enrolling participants in clinical research.
The Research Associates (RA) Programs of the National Alliance of Research Associates Programs (NARAP) are looking for college graduates and graduating seniors doing a year or more before matriculating to health professional school to serve as Chief RAs, the leadership cadre for their programs.
Chief RAs are volunteers who serve about twenty (20) hours per week on average in their hospital’s RA Program.
- undergraduate degree and pre-requisite courses completed
- applying to medical school, or other health professional school
- complete an on-line training course through St.Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT
- serve as their RA Program Director's assistants for the academic year until health professional school matriculation
- develop their RA Program’s recruiting, personnel management, scheduling, website, database management
- “first port of call” for Line RAs' on-shift issues
- involved in all aspects of clinical research from concept initiation to publication
- attend didactic sessions and research meetings of their department of emergency medicine
- depending on their level of involvement, may be the principal or associate investigators on study(ies)
NARAP Chief RAs are in leadership positions for their hospital’s RA Programs to conduct their Department of Emergency Medicine research and to participate in the national, multi-center studies
completing Tobacco Cessation Efforts Among Emergency Department Patients and Visitors.
-to date, has enrolled about 18,000 participants
-potentially be the largest prospective, interventional clinical trial ever done
- beginning Cervical and Breast Cancer Screening Among Emergency Department Patients and Visitors.
Think these might provide some interesting things to talk about at health profession school interviews?
The current NARAP RA Programs are in the Departments of Emergency Medicine at:
CT Hartford Hospital/UConn
Lawrence and Memorial Hospital, New London
St. Vincent's Medical Center, Bridgeport
- DC Georgetown
- MA University of Massachusetts
- MO St. Louis University
- NJ Hackensack University Medical Center
- NV University of Nevada
- NY University of Rochester
- PA Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- TX Seton/University of Texas, Austin
- VT University of Vermont Medical Center
- WA Pullman Regional Hospital
Regardless if you live or go to school in proximity to a RA Program, or you are thinking about moving to a new locale for your post-bac year, consider the opportunities offered from service as a Chief RA.
Interested? Please check out the details and find the application materials at www.theNARAP.org.