Employee Parking Information for Class Day & Commencement
We again ask for cooperation from our faculty and staff to help the University improve the flow of traffic and alleviate congestion on Class Day, Monday, June 4, and Commencement, Tuesday, June 5, resulting from the influx of thousands of guests. This year, we are reassigning faculty and staff who normally park in the West Garage and lots 6, 16, 17, or 28 to park in alternate parking locations on June 4 and 5, rain or shine. Employees should also anticipate heavy traffic congestion in the area on Friday afternoon, June 1, due to the large number of visitors expected to attend Reunions.
This year, staff members who will not perform essential services on Commencement day will have an early dismissal at 2 p.m. We encourage you to talk with your supervisor to clarify whether you are required to work on either or both Class Day and Commencement and to confirm that you are permitted to leave early on June 5.
On June 5, if you are a biweekly-paid employee who performs essential services, you will receive one and one-half times your regular pay rate for time worked from 2 to 5 p.m., or until the end of your regular work schedule, whichever is earlier. Other conditions related to overtime may also apply.
We suggest that employees not required to be at work on June 1, June 4, or June 5 consider taking planned vacation and discuss this with supervisors. If you take a planned day on Tuesday, June 5, you should not charge time off after 2 p.m. Alternatively, you and your supervisor can decide whether you can work from home on any of these days.
To obtain a campus map modified for faculty and staff parking on June 4 and 5, please refer to the website.
Parking Lot Reassignments
Please make note of the following information related to parking:
- If you normally are assigned to park in lot 6 or the West Garage, you are reassigned temporarily to park in lot 21 by Jadwin Gymnasium.
- If lot 21 becomes full, officers will redirect you to park in the adjacent Broadmead fields. Please use Fitzrandolph Road to access parking in these locations.
- If you normally are assigned to park in lots 16, 17, or 28, you are reassigned temporarily to park in lot 32, located south of lot 16.
- If lot 32 becomes full, officers will redirect traffic to an alternate parking location.
- If work locations are relatively near the parking lots, employees are encouraged to walk to and from their offices to alleviate shuttle bus congestion.
Handicap or Medical Permits and University Vehicles
- Employees who have handicap or medical parking permits may park in their usual or specially assigned parking locations.
- Departments that park University vehicles in any of the following parking lots — the West Garage, 6, 16, 17, or 28 — are requested to park the vehicles in lot 32 by 8 a.m. and through 5 p.m. on June 4 and 5.
TigerTransit Service Information
TigerTransit shuttle service will be available on June 4 and 5 between main campus and lot 21 and between main campus and the shuttle stop located in lot 23. Please note the following details:
- Chapel Drive will not be accessible to vehicular traffic on Monday during Class Day from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and during the Hooding ceremony from 4 to 7 p.m. Shuttle service will run north to Alexander Hall, exiting through the North Gate.
- Tuesday during Commencement from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Shuttle service will end at Dillon Gym.
- Shuttle service hours will be provided from 4:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. with additional capacity scheduled during peak hours.
Please note the following information about service to and from lot 21 and main campus:
- East Line Commuter shuttle service will be provided with their usual schedule frequency to and from lot 21 along Washington Road and the eastern edge of campus.
- Employees whose work locations are along Washington Road may find the East Line Commuter more convenient.
- Because shuttle service will not be possible along Chapel Drive on either day, employees who work in Firestone Library and other offices in that area will find it most convenient to use the shuttle stops at the Scheide/Caldwell-Firestone driveway on Nassau Street and at Tulane.
- Employees who work in New South and surrounding buildings will have access to a special connector shuttle that will travel to and from Lot 21 and the West Garage shuttle stop between 4:45 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Access to the Activities and the Front End of Campus
Please note the following information about access to the area around Nassau Hall:
- Vehicular access and mobility around Nassau Hall will be constrained due to the location of ceremonies and the number of guests.
- Both Class Day and Commencement will be webcast live. Please refer to the website.
- For more specific information, please refer to the Commencement website.
We appreciate everyone’s assistance and cooperation.