Parking on Class Day and Commencement
We again ask for your cooperation to help the University improve the flow of traffic and alleviate congestion on Commencement, Tuesday, May 31, resulting from the influx of thousands of guests. This year, we are reassigning faculty and staff who normally park in the West Garage and lots 6, 16, 17, or 28 to park in alternate parking locations on May 31 only, rain or shine. Faculty and staff involved with Commencement-related events scheduled on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, should park in their assigned lots.
This year, staff members who will not perform essential services on Commencement day will have an early dismissal at 2 p.m. We encourage you to talk with your supervisor to clarify whether you are required to work on either or both days and to confirm that you are permitted to leave early on May 31.
Because Memorial Day is a University-paid holiday, if you are a biweekly-paid employee who performs essential services, you will receive two and one-half times your regular pay rate for time worked on Class Day. Alternatively, you may choose to be off on another day. In these situations, you will be paid time and one half for the holiday worked and regular straight time for the alternative day off.
On May 31, if you are a biweekly-paid employee who performs essential services, you will receive one and one-half times your regular pay rate for time worked from 2 to 5 p.m., or until the end of your regular work schedule, whichever is earlier. Other conditions related to overtime may also apply.
We suggest that employees not required to be at work on May 31 consider taking a planned vacation day and discuss this with your supervisor. If you take a planned vacation day, you should not charge time off after 2 p.m. Alternatively, you and your supervisor can decide whether you can work from home.
To obtain a campus map modified for faculty and staff parking on May 30 and 31, please refer to the website.
Parking Lot Reassignments
Please make note of the following information related to parking:
- If you normally are assigned to park in lot 6 or the West Garage, you are reassigned temporarily to park in lot 21 by Jadwin Gymnasium.
- If lot 21 becomes full, officers will redirect you to park in the adjacent Broadmead fields. Please use Fitzrandolph Road to access parking in these locations.
- If you normally are assigned to park in lots 16, 17, or 28, you are reassigned temporarily to park in lot 32, located south of lot 16.
- If lot 32 becomes full, officers will redirect traffic to an alternate parking location.
- If work locations are relatively near the parking lots, employees are encouraged to walk to and from their offices to alleviate shuttle bus congestion.
Handicap or Medical Permits and University Vehicles
- Employees who have handicap or medical parking permits may park in their usual or specially assigned parking locations.
- Departments that park University vehicles in any of the following parking lots — the West Garage, 6, 16, 17, or 28 — are requested to park the vehicles in lot 32 by 8 a.m. and through 5 p.m. on May 31.
TigerTransit Service Information
TigerTransit shuttle service will be available on May 31 between main campus and lot 21 and between main campus and the shuttle stop located in lot 23. Please note the following details:
- The upper, north end of Elm Drive will not be accessible to most vehicular traffic on Tuesday during Commencement from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Shuttle service will end at Dillon Gym during these hours.
- At other times, shuttle service will run north to Alexander Hall.
- Chapel Drive will be closed Monday and Tuesday mornings; shuttle service will not be possible along Chapel Drive.
- Shuttle service hours will be provided from 4:45 a.m. to 9 p.m. with additional capacity scheduled during peak hours.
Please note the following information about service to and from lot 21 and main campus:
- East Line and East Line Commuter shuttle service will be provided with their usual schedule frequency to and from lot 21 along Washington Road and the eastern edge of campus.
- Employees whose work locations are along Washington Road may find the East Line Commuter more convenient.
- Because shuttle service will not be possible along Chapel Drive on either day, employees who work in Firestone Library and other offices in that area may find it more convenient to use the East Line and East Line Commuter shuttle from lot 21.
- Employees who work in New South and surrounding buildings will have access to a special connector shuttle that will travel to and from lot 21 and the West Garage shuttle stop between 4:45 to 9 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m.
Access to the Activities and the Front End of Campus
Please note the following information about access to the area around Nassau Hall:
- Vehicular access and mobility around Nassau Hall will be constrained due to the location of ceremonies and the number of guests.
- Both Class Day and Commencement will be webcast live. Please refer to the website.
- For more specific information, please refer to the Commencement website.
We appreciate everyone’s assistance and cooperation.