Children's Educational Assistance Plan

Tuition Grant Program for Children of Staff & Faculty

Princeton University offers a generous education grant to help you pay for up to four years of your children’s undergraduate tuition at most two- or four-year colleges or universities. The program is available to employees who have five or more years of benefits-eligible service and it’s easy to apply for the benefit.

The tuition grant program is governed by the break-in-service rules that govern our retirement plan.  Therefore, if you have a break in benefits-eligible service of more than five years, the prior service will not count.

How the Plan Works 

The Children’s Educational Assistance Plan is available to all your eligible children who are pursuing undergraduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college.
The program will pay for half of your child’s tuition and mandatory educational fees up to $17,424 for the 2017-2018 academic year. Payments of $8,712 are disbursed each semester, or equivalent amounts are disbursed on a trimester and quarter basis. The amount of the grant may be adjusted annually on or about July 1. There is a limit of one grant per child per year.
For example, if your child’s annual tuition and mandatory fees total $20,000, the University will provide a grant of $10,000 ($5,000 per semester). If your child’s annual tuition and fees total $40,000, the University will provide a grant of $17,424 for the academic year ($8,712 per semester).
The grant is available for up to four academic years for your unmarried, dependent children and, in most cases, is tax free for you. The terms do not have to be consecutive except in special situations (described in the section on eligibility).
Grant disbursements are paid directly to the educational institution for credit against your child’s account. 
If your child is receiving money from other sources, such as scholarships, grants or awards designed to cover the same charges, the tuition grant benefits provided by Princeton will not exceed the remaining eligible costs, if any. Financial aid information must be listed on the itemized bill or a copy of the child's financial aid award letter must be submitted.

Applying for a Tuition Grant 

If you are applying for a tuition grant for a child that has not been verified as a dependent, you must provide the dependent verification documentation prior to a grant being processed.
You must submit one application form per child each academic year along with the bill. If your child attends a community college or is participating in a study abroad program, you must submit the application form and bill for each semester the child attends.
Simply follow these two easy steps: 
  • Complete a Tuition Grant Application form. You can also get this form from Human Resources. It is updated and available annually on or around June 1.
  • Return the completed form and a copy of the itemized tuition bill to Human Resources for processing. Financial aid information must be listed on the bill or a copy of the child's financial aid award letter must be submitted, if applicable.
Princeton University will send the payment directly to your child’s educational institution, and Human Resources will notify you by mail when the payments are sent.
Tuition grants are processed in the order in which they are received and are generally processed within six weeks of receipt.
You can count on support from knowledgeable and responsive HR staff when you have a benefits question or problem. Just call or e-mail us. We’re here to help!
While the University intends to continue each of the benefit plans, the University reserves the right to terminate or amend any plan, at any time, and for any reason.