Retirement Savings Plan


To be eligible for the Retirement Savings Plan, you must be receiving pay directly from Princeton or be a postdoctoral research fellow, regardless of duty time.
Your participation begins as soon as administratively possible after your electronic election is processed.  If you are not able to elect the plan online, you can obtain a paper enrollment form online or from your Office of Human Resources.
You may choose to contribute as little as 25 dollars per pay period or as much as permitted by the Internal Revenue Service. In addition, you can start or stop your participation, or increase or decrease your contributions at any time by electing a new level online. The changes you make will be effective in the next open pay period.
If you are newly eligible to participate in this plan, you will receive information about enrollment during new hire orientation or in the new hire package provided to you by the Office of Human Resources. New hires are automatically enrolled in the plan at a level of 5% of compensation.  You can waive out of this election, or change the election during the 31 days that you have to elect the benefits.  If you waive out after the 31 days, any initial contributions deposited will remain invested in the plan. 
We encourage you to enroll online with TIAA-CREF or Vanguard, or both, to: 
  • establish your account, logon and password,
  • name your beneficiaries and
  • select the investments from either TIAA-CREF or Vanguard or both.  
For assistance with enrolling online or information about your TIAA-CREF investment options, visit the TIAA-CREF website or call (800) 842-8412 to speak with a TIAA-CREF counselor or set up an on-campus appointment.
For assistance with enrolling online or information about your Vanguard investment options, visit the Vanguard website or call (800) 523-1188 to speak with a Vanguard participant services associate, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST. 


You are always 100 percent vested in your Retirement Savings Plan contributions. 

If You Leave Princeton

Should you terminate your employment with the University, you can no longer make contributions to your Retirement Savings account. Your account is available to you as a rollover or cash distribution when you leave the University. You may also leave the account in the Princeton plan until mandatory distribution are required at age 70-1/2.
You can count on support from knowledgeable and responsive HR staff when you have a benefits question or problem. Just call or e-mail us. We’re here to help!

While the University intends to continue each of the benefit plans, the University reserves the right to terminate or amend any plan, at any time, and for any reason.