Donald Griffin ’23 Management Award
The Donald Griffin ’23 Management Award offers an annual opportunity for professional development for managers and administrators whose experience and current responsibilities indicate potential for leadership or the expansion of leadership skills and continuing contribution to the University. Two $2,500 grants are awarded annually to an employee in administrative grades one through five and administrative grades six through ten to enable the individuals to participate in professional activities that can result in new insights and perspectives, renewed motivation, or enhanced skills which can be applied to his or her current responsibilities.
Nominees are expected to have the potential for leadership development or seek further growth by having demonstrated the following three leadership traits:
- affect others positively by motivating, encouraging and enabling them to act
- be able to learn or develop a new skill or behavior and apply it on the job
- look for and act upon opportunities to foster collaboration with others by promoting cooperative goals, making connections and providing support and advice
- held administrative or managerial positions for the past three years at the University
- experience and current responsibilities that indicate a potential for leadership or the expansion of leadership skills and continuing contribution to the University
- Anyone can recommend an employee to the potential nominee’s manager, supervising faculty member, vice president or dean. It is encouraged that this be a collaborative process between the nominee and their manager.
- Only a vice president, dean or academic chair or director can submit a nomination but the nomination itself is written by the nominee and their manager.
- The nomination should consist of:
- a nomination form completed by the sponsoring vice president, dean or academic chair or director; and
- a document, not to exceed three pages, that should include:
- a description, written by the nominee’s manager, about the individual’s accomplishments and how he or she demonstrates the potential to become a leader or to expand upon their leadership skills based on the traits mentioned in the criteria above;
- a proposal from the nominee that describes and outlines the professional conference, academic program or specific course work including the educational goals, details and/or objectives and how the candidate believes it will contribute to their individual professional development as well as to the larger mission of the department and the University; and
- a breakdown of program costs including the program itself and any associated travel, transportation and accommodations, if applicable.
- The deadline for submitting a nomination and supporting information is Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
- All information should be sent to Jeanne Donofrio, Office of Human Resources, 100 Overlook Center.
Award recipients will be invited to attend the annual staff Service Recognition Luncheon on March 21, 2019, in Jadwin Gymnasium, where they will be introduced and recognized. Please watch for announcements on the HR homepage or Announcements section of this website.
For more information, contact Jeanne Donofrio, 8-6481.