Centralized Accrued Leave Management (CALM)
Centralized Accrued Leave Management (CALM) is a key SUMAR (Strengthening University Management and Resources) initiative that originated in FY2010.
Three policies — vacation, sick days (formerly sporadic absence), and personal days (formerly optional holidays) — were revised and became effective July 1, 2012. A new Absence Management tracking system in HR Self Service was implemented for many departments on July 1, 2012, with all departments on board by December 31, 2012.
The CALM project goals were to:
- have an accurate annual cost estimate of the University's paid time liability for financial stewardship, planning and audited financial statements;
- track absences and balances efficiently;
- provide managers and staff with a common tool to record and plan time off; and
- develop and implement absence policies that are consistently and fairly applied across the campus.
The employees affected by the policy changes and who have access to HR Self Service are all non-faculty benefits-eligible staff with the following qualifications:
- Union employees follow contract provisions as appropriate.
- Maintenance and service employees follow their current vacation accrual schedule.
- Academic professionals (librarians, specialists, researchers) follow HR policy with some additional dean of the faculty guidelines.
Absence Management Roles
1. Monthly-Paid Employees
> Enter, maintain and/or view their own time off information in HR Self Service
> Enter time off into the Time Collection System
> View absence balances in HR Self Service
> View and/or maintain information for those who are in their organizational reporting structure
> May delegate the manager role to one other person in the department
3. Absence Administrators
> Can correct all absence events, i.e., time off entries, in Absence Management for monthly-paid
employees only, pre- or post-processing
> Has access to absence data for an entire department
> Has access to departmental absence reports in the Information Warehouse
Refer to the links to the right side of this Web page for more information. If you have questions, please contact your senior HR manager or send us an e-mail.