Employee Referral Program
At Princeton University, we have found that employee referrals are an effective way for recruiting top-notch employees.
If you refer a person who then is hired and remains in the job for at least six months, you may receive a reward up to $1,000, less applicable taxes. To receive this reward, you must be employed by Princeton University when the reward payment is made.
Who Can Make a Referral?
You are eligible to make an employee referral if you are not involved in the hiring process for the referred candidate. Office of Human Resources staff members are not eligible.
What types of jobs are eligible for this reward program and what is the reward?
The following positions may be eligible for employee referral rewards:
- all biweekly B positions in academic, data management, or departmental office support – $250
- all biweekly janitorial and dining services positions – $250
- all administrative positions (ADM) in grades 1 and 2 – $250
- all informational technology professional positions (AIT) in grades 1 and 2 – $500
- all informational technology professional positions (AIT) in grades 3 through 5 – $1,000
You can review current openings online.
Who can be referred?
Candidates are eligible for employee referral provided they:
- are not currently employed by Princeton University in any capacity, including temporary, casual hourly or student workers;
- have not been referred previously by someone else; or
- have not previously applied for a position at Princeton
Candidates must demonstrate that they have:
- the required qualifications,
- a good employment record; and,
- in the case of office and administrative support staff, proficiency in using Microsoft Office.
The director of talent acquisition will make the final determination regarding eligibility after the candidate applies and the application or resume has been received.
How do I refer someone?
The process of referring a candidate is simple. Within the particular position you wish to refer, click Make a Referral and fill in the name and email address of the candidate you wish to refer and click Submit Referral. The candidate must then open the emailed link and apply for the position. General referrals are not eligible for a referral award.
The applicant may also indicate that you referred them on their online application. When asked “How did you hear about employment opportunities at Princeton?” on the application, the individual should select Employee Referral and enter your first and last name in the blank field below.
When am I eligible to receive the referral reward?
The referral reward will be made as a taxable, additional payment and will be included in your regular paycheck.
You are eligible to receive the reward:
- if you submitted your referral prior to the time the candidate is offered an interview or the candidate indicated your referral on the online application;
- when the person you referred is hired into a position included in this program; and
- after the person you referred is employed for six months.
You must be employed by the University when the payment is made, normally soon after the person you referred has been in the job six months.
What if I know someone to refer but the position is not eligible for a referral reward?
Even though all positions at Princeton University are not included in the employee referral program, we encourage you to refer them because we believe that employee referrals are one of the most successful ways to attract talented people.
Please review the following policies regarding employment of family members or individuals with whom you have a personal relationship:
- 2.1.5 Employment of Members of the Same Family or Household
- 5.2.2 Nepotism and Personal Relationships in the Workplace
Other Things You Should Know
The Office of Human Resources reserves the right to make the final determination about candidate eligibility, including whether they are qualified for positions designated within the program. In the event an applicant is referred by more than one employee, or by an employee and an employment agency, the deciding factor will be the date of receipt of the referral to Human Resources.
If you have questions regarding the program, contact the Talent Acquisition Team at (609) 258-3301 or email@example.com.