Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization for work directly related to a student's major area of study and commensurate with his/her educational level. The purpose of OPT is to provide a student with an opportunity to receive on-the-job-training and to apply classroom education in the U.S. workforce.
A student is eligible for 12 months of OPT per degree level and a student may choose to use OPT:
- After completion of the degree
- During summer vacation
- Part-time during the school year
- After completion of all course work for the Masters or Ph.D., while working on the thesis or dissertation
Please review the step-by-step OPT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & INFORMATION
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Information Sessions:
- February 27th @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. (Carl A. Fields Center - Multi-Purpose Room 104)
- March 25th @ 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Bowen Hall - Auditorium)
- April 10th @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. (Lewis Library - 138)
- February 13th @ 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (East Pyne 010)
- March 19th @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. (Frist Multipurpose Room B)
- April 1st @ 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (East Pyne 010)
*for events with locations listed as "TBD" (to be determined) - please check the Davis IC website, Facebook page or "This Week @ the Davis IC"
Please view a list of our Immigration-Related Events this semester (pdf).
Optional Practical Training Application Drop-off times:
Students are requested to submit their OPT applications to the Davis IC Front Desk during the OPT application drop-off times below. NOTE: Submit only single-sided documents and do not staple documents.
Monday – Thursday 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
Finding a Job:
The Office of Career Services is a valuable resource for international students seeking advice on career planning, including exploring career-related interests, applying to graduate or professional schools, and developing effective strategies for the pursuit of full-time employment, internships, or other experiential learning opportunities. For more information on the resources available to you through Career Services, please visit: http://www.princeton.edu/career/