Maintaining F-1/J-1 Immigration Status
To Maintain your legal F-1 or J-1 immigration status, you must follow these requirements:
- New Students report to the Davis International Center no later than 15 days after the start date indicated on the I-20 Form (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 Form (for J-1 Students).
- You must attend the school you are authorized to attend as indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019 Form.
- You must pursue a "full course of study" every semester except during official school breaks.
- You must make normal progress toward completion of your course of study by completing studies before the program completion date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 Form OR, if eligible, you must apply for an extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 Form before the expiration date on the current form.
- Your must maintain a residential U.S. address (where you live, not your academic department or Frist mail box) at all times. You are also required to report any change of residential address (excluding temporary summer addresses when you are away from Princeton) within 10 days of the change. To update your address, or to report a new address, use the SCORE system online. The Davis International Center will report any change of address on your behalf, based upon the information extracted from SCORE. Please note that you are also required to maintain your permanent address in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residency. If you experience any problems with SCORE, please call the OIT Help Desk at (609) 258-4357.
- You must have a passport that is kept valid at all times.
- You must have a valid I-20 Form (if you are an F-1 student) or DS-2019 Form (if you are a J-1 student).
- If you wish to transfer from Princeton to another U.S. school, you must follow SEVIS transfer procedures.
- If you wish to change from one educational level to another (Bachelor's to Master's or Ph.D; Master's to Ph.D) OR from one program to another, you must follow University procedures and inform the Davis International Center
- Limit employment while school is in session, both on campus and off campus, to a total of 20 hours per week (includes Assistant in Instruction and Assistant in Research appointments for graduate students). Full time employment (more than 20 hours) is allowed during official University breaks.
- NEVER work off-campus before obtaining proper work authorization.
- Carry appropriate health insurance coverage. All enrolled F-1 and J-1 students are automatically covered under Princeton University Student Health Plan. J-1 students must maintain required coverage for all J-2 dependents as per J-1 visa regulations.
- You must abide by the F-1/J-1 grace period rules. F-1 students may remain in the U.S. up to 60 days after completion of your program or after completion of your Optional Practical Training (OPT). J-1 students may remain in the U.S. up to 30 days following the completion date of your program.
- Keep ALL of your original I-20 Forms or DS-2019 Forms in your records. If you lose your current I-20 or DS-2019 Form, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new document.